Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chaining drives? slower drive compromise speed?  (Read 2508 times)

markimar

Chaining drives? slower drive compromise speed?
« on: June 25, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »
Hi all,
Is it still true that if you have two DVD drives if one is slower than the other and you put that drive as the master that it will also slow the faster slave drive down?

Or with technology now does this still happen?  I just added a second litescribe dvd burner to my existing computer and because I didnt want to fiddle and futz with the other drive I put the new one as a slave.  The new drive is faster than the original one, so thats why I asked.  Should I make the faster drive the master?

Thanks!
Mark

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Chaining drives? slower drive compromise speed?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:08:17 PM »
Yes
The faster drive should be master...
Optical drives aren't as sensitive but an optical drive on an IDE channel will slow down a HDD.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

markimar

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 06:58:59 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. The Hard drive is a SATA drive and is seperate from the IDE.

So I remember I read somewhere long time ago that slower drives on an IDE cable with slow down a faster drive.

But if it's only 2 dvd drives on the ide it shouldnt matter?

Thanks again!
Mark

contrex

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:59:39 PM »
No it shouldn't matter. An optical drive and a hard drive on the same IDE channel can be a bad idea because of the huge difference in speed, but the problem just won't arise with two optical drives. I have had a 16x DVD RW drive and a CD writer on the same IDE channel with no problems for 3 years now.