Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS will not update  (Read 3014 times)

WaterIce52

BIOS will not update
« on: June 26, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »
My computer is getting stuck on the Compaq splash screen. Sometimes it starts properly, sometimes I have to shut it down and start again. It may take me two times to get it working, it may take six. Thus, I reformatted my computer to see if this would help. Well it hasn't. Apart from this my computer is as good as new.

After consulting a helpdesk, I discovered that I should try updating my BIOS. However, my computer won't let me. The BIOS version on my Compaq Presario V2000 is currently F.20. The latest version is F.23. When I tried installing the latest version I got a window that said "This BIOS is not for your Notebook PC." I tried installing less recent versions (F.21 and F.22), but I got the same message. I also tried installing the BIOS for a Presario V2000C, still the same message.

I tried calling Compaq, but they wouldn't help me because my warranty is expired.

Please help?

TehGerg

Re: BIOS will not update
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »
You might have the right notebook model number but it may be a different revision of the notebook with a different motherboard. 

First try to do a memory test this can cause this same issue.  Download memtest86 and put it on a floppy disk and boot from it and let it run for at least an hour to check for any memory errors.

When the computer is up and running does it blue screen at all or reboot?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: BIOS will not update
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:53:03 PM »
It sounds like the machine is trying to save you from turning it into a doorstop.

9 times out of 10 a BIOS flash is not the solution to a machine that has suddenly gotten laggy or is having troubles...

What other diagnostics have you performed ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "