Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: connecting to a hotspot other than my own  (Read 3198 times)

nyker

connecting to a hotspot other than my own
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:32:59 AM »
Hi,   I am a newbie, and apologize if I am not going about this the right way... Anyway I have a G3 mac laptop and it has a wireless card.  I can get connected to my DSL with no problem.  My question is,  when I go out, and come across a "hot spot",  do I need to put in some kind of key or something to get on line?   I know that with a starbucks that has an open connection I don't have to, but when I go to a friends house or a place of business 8) 8) that has wi-fi,  is there some thing I can do to access a network if it is closed?  I am not looking to do anything illegal,  I am just trying to figure out how to connect to a closed network that I am given permission to.   Thanks,    Cheri

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: connecting to a hotspot other than my own
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »
Normally, you just need to enter a password.
If in doubt, ask the owner of the wireless connection to allow you access - they will have the password and any other steps needed.
Hope this helps.

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    Re: connecting to a hotspot other than my own
    « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »
    If the network is protected with mac filtering then he 'll need your mac address.

Jonas ;)