Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is win vista any good? xp is just as good...  (Read 5689 times)

stevea54

is win vista any good? xp is just as good...
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »
i hear fromeveryone it has all these bugs and way to many graphics...
should i get it? advice ....

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: is win vista any good? xp is just as good...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:16:11 PM »
I don't know...
How much money do you have ? ?
What do you use your computer for ? ?
What other flavors of Windows are you familiar with ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:34:55 AM »
I personally use Windows Vista, yes, it does have problems, but so does XP
As far as I am concerned, the only bugless version of Windows is Windows 3.11 from 1993...

Windows Vista does offer a lot of little features that do come in use.
I learned last night that it has a great self repair feature, in case you get a disk error, or if something goes wrong with the boot loader

Windows Vista isnt all eye candy, the main part that you are upgrading is something you cant see. The stability

beanhead07

Hopeful
    « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
    Honestly I had Vista on my laptop and although I loved the graphics and the look of it.... it just wasn't practical for what I wanted to do and I just got tired of searching for drivers for programs. They did a good job with it, but just needed to wait awhile before releasing it. I ended up putting XP back on my laptop cause I got too frustrated with Vista. I personally don't like it, but I'm sure once more stuff becomes compatible with it it will be better.
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

jtfitzgerald

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 01:19:52 PM »
    Well i've been using Vista since before it came out and the only bug i've had is sometimes it wont connect to the internet. Other than that its a very stable operating system.  The OS works well independently from the user which is both a good and bad thing. It automatically defrags in the background and provides several restore, backup, and security features that increase the stability of the OS but at the same time in an attempt to increase security they have the continuous pop ups to say "Allow this program to continue?" while a good feature there is no way to deactivate it.  Oh and it needs more memory than XP. Overall I havent had any mysterious bugs or hardware problems at all and I personally like the Aero style look. The only major downside I see to Vista is when you change your hardware and you need to reinstall Vista you have to call up Windows Tech Support and tell them exactly what your doing and ask them to deactivate your CD Key so you can activate it again, of course thats just a downside for a "PC Enthusiast"

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 02:06:46 PM »
    I'm looking forward to the release of the first Service Pak which should clear a few glitches up...unfortunately that timeline has been pushed back once again.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 05:33:56 PM »
    but at the same time in an attempt to increase security they have the continuous pop ups to say "Allow this program to continue?" while a good feature there is no way to deactivate it. 
    User Account Control (UAC) can be disabled.

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
    (The directions for Control Panel are the safest for your basic user, but the MSCONFIG ones might be more effective, though, I never tried the MSCONFIG one)

Oh and it needs more memory than XP.
    Vista Home Premium requires 1GB of RAM. On average, you will only be using 50-60% of the memory.

The only major downside I see to Vista is when you change your hardware and you need to reinstall Vista you have to call up Windows Tech Support and tell them exactly what your doing and ask them to deactivate your CD Key so you can activate it again, of course thats just a downside for a "PC Enthusiast"
    This is the same for any version of Windows XP that has Windows Genuine Advantage installed.
    (I thought you only needed to type your COA to get it reactivated)

A plus to the eye candy (Aero):
    When you have Aero (from Windows Vista Home Premium and up) installed, it dosnt only make it look appealing, it does make it easier to use
    Everything is given a look that makes your computer actually easier to use. Everything is cleaner. This is a major plus to operating your PC. Things just start "going together"

Go to a store like Staples, or Office Depot, and mess around with their vista computers/laptops and check it out and see what you think.
    As an XP user, it took me 1 week to get used to Vista (after getting it on my new laptop)

The one thing you have to remember:
    When Windows XP came out, it was just like Vista. New features, new look. A lot of people didnt like it. (Eventually they got new computers that came with it, and look at them now!!!)

Being that I like computer games for PC's, I do occasionally wish that I would have gotten more RAM. When I play a very high quality graphics game, I do end up using 93% of my RAM, limiting the space I have available for my apps to run, but then again, the game is full screen, so I dont tend to be multitasking while playing...

scooterpickleman

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 06:56:28 PM »
      ive never used vista but ive heard its a video game hater and you cant play half the stuff you want to. if thats so i dont want it lol

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 08:17:35 PM »
      ive never used vista but ive heard its a video game hater and you cant play half the stuff you want to. if thats so i dont want it lol
      Not necessarily true.
      There are applications that will not work with Windows Vista, but then again, there are applications that will not work with XP

Read the requirements of the game, and check their website.
      Newer games are going to be requiring Windows Vista soon