Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Resolved: Cannot Copy and Paste Windows Calendar  (Read 4481 times)

perelandra

Resolved: Cannot Copy and Paste Windows Calendar
« on: July 03, 2007, 04:59:50 PM »
This has been driving me crazy for 3 days.  I have tried to find help all over Microsoft's stupidly inadequate "help" sites to no avail.  Someone please, please help me.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium on an HP laptop, lots of RAM and double hard drives.  None of the particulars of my system seem relevant to my problem.  I hope I'm not wrong and causing someone who is willing to help me inconvenience.  I also have Microsoft Office Home and Student which includes OneNote.

My problem is that I need to copy and paste the calendar I have created in my Windows Calendar (which is included in Windows Vista) to a page in OneNote.  I have done this twice previously without a problem that I can remember.  I copied calendars for May and June onto their appropriate pages in the OneNote folder I am using for personal organization.  Now, it's time to copy the July calendar to its page and I can't do it.

On the calendar page of Windows Calendar I cannot get the curser to change from an arrow to a line so that I can "select" the area to copy.  I have tried one click, double click and triple click.  Right clicking only gives me a short menu relevant to the calendar program-not the one you usually get with "undo, cut, copy, paste, delete, etc."  And left clicking only has program specific affects like changing the month or some other things depending on where the arrow curser is pointing. 

I would just accept the calendar as a "no copy zone" if I hadn't been able to copy it previously.  I can't figure out what is different.  I have looked at each of the drop down menus repeatedly and can't see anything that would allow or prevent the curser changing to "highlighting or selecting mode".

I have looked at the curser and mouse controls on the control panel.  I don't see anything helpful there either.  Besides, the curser works fine everywhere else, as far as I can see.

*censored*!?!?  I'm pulling my hair out!  And wasting hours, yes, HOURS of the time I am trying so hard to organize.

I've tried work-arounds like e-mailing it to myself, but I only get an attachment that when opened is the same d*** page that won't let me copy it.

Please, please, please somebody help me.  If I can't copy the d*** calendar, what good is it to me?  How STUPID this is!!

Okay, I'll go try to calm myself down.  Sorry about ranting and swearing.  You should hear me in person  ;)

Anyway, thanks.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:59:42 AM by Zylstra »

flopeyeman

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Cannot Copy and Paste Windows Calendar
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
    I don't have vista but are you right clicking and holding it down and highlighting it, then right click on the highlighted area and you should get the copy menu. If this is what you are doing then I'm sorry for wasting your time.
    Joshua 24-15  John 3-16

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
    Windows Calendar will not allow you to copy the entire calendar.

You say that you were able to do it once... I tested it for myself, and there is no possible way. Perhaps you were using a different Calendar program, like Microsoft Works?

Your One Note program may be able to support importing of a calendar.

In Windows Calendar, click File, EXPORT
    Save the .ics file to your desktop as something like "my calendar"

In Windows One Note, click File, IMPORT
    See if you can get the file into it from the desktop.

perelandra

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:20:07 PM »
    (No problem, flopeyeman--thanks for trying)

Zylstra--

Thank you so much.  Your assurance that what I was trying to do couldn't be done helped me to break out of the mental knot I had tied myself in. 

With enormous chagrin, I report that I finally figured out that I had used the SnagIt program that I had trialed and which had expired and therefore was not funtional. 

Oh, I feel like such an idiot--especially with these bald patches all over my head, and my mouth in need of a good soaping.

Thank you, enormously.  I feel pretty stupid, but at least I have learned that there is somewhere to go when computer insanity overtakes me. 

Your actual, thoughtful attention to my problem, I think, is a good part of what saved me from spinning alone in that vortex--you should see the note I got back from Microsoft.  Thank the heavens, I saw yours first or I may never have recovered.

Again, THANK YOU!!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Resolved: Cannot Copy and Paste Windows Calendar
    « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 04:06:55 AM »
    Eh, bald spots just mean that your generation is being surpassed by another, it doesn't mean you cant learn and surpass the other generations knowledge (<<coming from a 16 year old)

What exactly did Microsoft say?
    And did Windows OneNote have a import for calendar files?