Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Password for Folders  (Read 7984 times)

khvn

Password for Folders
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »
Can someone show me how to put a password on a folder in Win XP?

Setting up separate account is not a solution for me. No annoying encripted zip file scheme either (I need to use my files frequently).

What I need is a folder behaving like a simple lock box that can be quickly opened by a password key and, voila, there they are, all my files in their naked glory ready to be seen and used and then put away at a drop of a hat.

The Saviour

Re: Password for Folders
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:14:35 AM »
Google this:  freeware password protect folder software

The world is at your fingertips...

Good luck!

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 10:28:34 AM »
    if you are using XP PRO OR VISTA then it should be a case of right click the folder select sharing and security, then follow from the instructions. that is if you have "administration" rights for your particular "user profile",
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

khvn

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 02:02:02 PM »
    OK, some useful feedback:

After researching a bit I found TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/ which does what I want: a virtual lock box/vault that I can drag and drop files.

From what I saw, TrueCrypt is THE best open-source utility out there for file & folder locking app. Even better, it's truely free. The only other utility that appears to be in the same league with TrueCrypt is the glitzy commercialized "Folder Lock" http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/. But this will set you back $35 USD.

TrueCrypt is simply awsome. The author said he'll never comercialize TrueCrypt to stay true to the open-source spirit. But you're welcome to donate--This piece of work absolutely worth every single penny there is to count.

Last but not least, beware of free trojans out there. They can come loaded with snoopware and done stealing critical data from your computers before you finish yelling "Hot dangit..."

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 03:48:03 PM »
      might want to look here too

khvn

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
      Thank you, UnlovedWarrior. Man, this is good stuff. I'll take the less is more approach any old time. I'm really sick of all the BloatWares out there. Every time someone come along and slap on some software and says "install this", I want to run away...

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »
        hehe that little script is pretty clever, not high security stuff but enough to keep your average user out. Very good find unlovedwarrior.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
          « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
          very welcome

khvn

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:28:49 PM »
          UnloveWarrior, do you happen to know of any bat to exe compiler/converter?

I thought it would be great if  the little nifty BAT file can be turned into an EXE file
          thus hide the code and the password from the casual users (like yours truly myself).

So I tried bat2exe which started out real promising.
          It spits out the COM file fine. When run, it creates the locker folder fine too.

But it won't let you enter a password to lock and hide the locker folder like the BAT version. It ran but won't stop and prompt the user for the psswd.
          Maybe the prompting code didn't get compiled correctly or something.

If somebody else has any idea, please feel free to chip in too, thanks!

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 04:39:21 PM »
            This one should work:
            http://www.battoexe.com/
            It did for me at least.

khvn

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 12:58:54 AM »
            Thanks, Deerpark. I tested the demo version of quickbfc and it worked
            like a champ.

Odd that this is a sellware, but the demo copy doesn't seemm to have
            any time bomb for self-termination? Maybe it does. It just hasn't exploded
            on me yet...

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 05:06:39 AM »
              As I've understood it, the only limit to the demo version is the trial reminder in compiled exe files.