Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook help FAST!  (Read 4813 times)

Bradley_P.

Outlook help FAST!
« on: November 10, 2004, 02:12:46 PM »
I'm sending emails (Word format) from MS Outlook...and after any are sent, the system freezes and I can't close the window or create any forward or backward movement at all. In fact... have to reboot to get back to my Outlook Files and then same thing after next email. The emails do arrive according to recipients. Also, Outlook won't come up when clicking my desktop icon or from any other source until after reboot. Have not looked too deeply at other programs within MS Office 2000 to see if they work yet. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you...

Brad

Bradley_P.

Re: Outlook help FAST!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 02:49:20 PM »
P.S.- not sure if MS Office 2000 is compatible with my OS...XP PRO.
Brad

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 02:53:40 PM »
P.S.- not sure if MS Office 2000 is compatible with my OS...XP PRO.
Brad

It is.  XP-Pro SP2 or SP1?  Outlook is susceptible to virus and worm attack.  Do you have an up-to-date anti-virus?  Have you performed Office Update (similar to Windows Update)?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 02:54:15 PM by Computer_Commando »

Bradley_P.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »
Funny...it's my step-dad's 3 week old Dell 3000 with SP2. His Norton anti-virus is of course new...should he go to Norton for an update so soon after receiving a new system?
His friend loaded MS Office 2000 and created the ability for Outlook to import 2 email accounts...worked fine for about 2 days, but I didn't know updates were necessary for MS Office. Is said update available through normal windows update site?
Respectfully,
Brad

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »
..His Norton anti-virus is of course new...should he go to Norton for an update so soon after receiving a new system?
His friend loaded MS Office 2000 and created the ability for Outlook to import 2 email accounts...worked fine for about 2 days, but I didn't know updates were necessary for MS Office. Is said update available through normal windows update site?
Respectfully,
Brad

I just set up a new Dimension 3000.  As soon as I plugged in the computer it Norton asked to update.  It downloaded all kinds of stuff, took a long time on a slow dialup (bad phone line allows only 30kbps).  Virus definitions must be updated weekly.  Sometimes they are released 2,3 or even 4 times a week.

On Windows Update, look at the top, there is a link to Office Update.

Bradley_P.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 05:41:55 PM »
Computer_Commando Sir...

I updated the Norton AV and tried to update the Office software but for some reason, it wouldn't take the first of a NUMBER of patches. Started a Google search ("Frozen Outlook") which led me to some data regarding the need to rename some files in Office. I'm gonna look at that more closely. Apparently, this "OutLOCK" problem occurs frequently.

Thanks for the advice!

Brad

Bradley_P.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 08:37:29 PM »
Okay...I went to running processes and found Outlook running 7 or 8 places. Must be as a result of trying outlook.exe /safe. Ended all but one and the Outlook inbox appeared. Was then able to open emails and send again, but when attempting to close the document, the top bar AND program tray icon began to blink...the tray icon blinked ORANGE. Clicked on another tray icon and the "do you want to save changes" message popped up...clicked NO, and it allowed me to close the window. It does this sporadically. I Don't know how long this behavior will last, but is this a common occurrence with Outlook?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 03:27:55 AM »

Bradley Stevens

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 03:57:47 PM »
I checked out the link...unfortunately, MS doesn't address my problem there.  :-/  Thank you for the effort anyway!
Brad

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 04:05:28 PM »
I have to hold my arms up...never used oe...i use the isp webmail site...they can have the grief?

Bradley Stevens

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 04:25:01 PM »
This is a business computer where we're pulling up form letters in Word, making name changes and shipping them out with "OutLOCK". Brand new Dell 3000 with XP-PRO on Comcast broadband and all the good stuff...3 weeks old! But whoever set it up did not enable the email AV and I think this is the door through which the problem entered...just guessing. Oh well, I wont give up!

Thank you sir!

Brad

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 05:41:33 PM »
strip the system back< re-install it save stuff to disk> ....and reconfig outlook...firewalls network and  and all...it pays to start again .........sometimes....the person who has installed the system had no idea  or what you wanted to use it for...and ...the sir comment is not needed mate...i repect your comments bud. maners costs nothing...but there is not need ..thanks anyway...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 05:42:30 PM by merlin_2 »

Bradley_P.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 07:19:31 PM »
merlin_2...I think your suggestion is my final solution. I was looking for a quick remedy and now know that the time to find one has exceeded the time to do a reinstall/reconfig. Just hope I can do it correctly...it'll be a first for me.

Thanks for your help mate!

Brad