Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I Install Win XP in a Laptop that Came with Vista?  (Read 5288 times)

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    How do I Install Win XP in a Laptop that Came with Vista?
    « on: July 13, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
    HP Special Edition L2100
    HP Pavilion dv5100
    Compaq Presario C300

This Laptop came with Win Vista installed, we do not want to use vista,
    so we tried to install Win Xp that we feel comfortable with, but we just cant it wont let us install.

Does any one have any idea how we can do that, if possible can you provide the necessary steps on how to go about this?

Tanks

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: How do I Install Win XP in a Laptop that Came with Vista?
      « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
      What do you mean by it doesn't let you install? How far do you come in the install procedure before it refuses to go any further?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
      You might not have properly supported drivers, this would be a common problem with downgrading

Did you see any errors?

What exactly is preventing you from wanting to use Vista? Many of its features can be reversed to looking like XP

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:40:23 PM »
        HP Special Edition L2100
        HP Pavilion dv5100
        Compaq Presario C300

This Laptop came with Win Vista installed, we do not want to use vista,
        so we tried to install Win Xp that we feel comfortable with, but we just cant it wont let us install.

Does any one have any idea how we can do that, if possible can you provide the necessary steps on how to go about this?

Tanks

Whenever you downgrade you'll have to trick the computer into thinking you don't have the newer OS installed anymore.  You can either delete all the files in the windows directory, or you can wipe the contents of the disk with a format and start fresh, which is your best bet.  You'll need to boot from the XP disc itself instead of trying to run it from within windows.   

As has already been stated though, if your complaints are purely aesthetic, most everything can be reverted to look like XP (or even earlier).