Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My second hard drive.  (Read 5869 times)

jen41ks

My second hard drive.
« on: April 08, 2004, 02:26:28 PM »
Hope someone can help.  Installed a second hard drive on kids computer.    When restarting computer, the second hard drive shows up on start up screen.   Second hard drive is also visible in the device manager, but when I go to My Computer, its not there.   Does someone know what is causing this?  Thanks in advance.

Joleen

Re: My second hard drive.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 02:36:25 PM »
What operating system?  If XP, I seem to recall having to activate my new hdd in the device manager.  Open device manager and look at the properties of the missing drive.  Have you put a partition on the drive and formatted it?  May also have to re-arrange the drive letters of your CDrom but I don't think that's the issue.

jen41ks

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 02:46:31 PM »
Sorry for not stating which OS is on the computer.   Its  XP Home edition.     When going into device manager and clicking on properties of missing drive, it list that the hard drive is working properly.   As far as a partition, the hard drive hasnt ever had one put on.  My husband formatted the missing hard drive when it was in his computer.
Right now i'm on the kids computer so its easier to reply back with the answers. lol     Any other solutions or causes?
Thanks for the help! ;-)

What operating system?  If XP, I seem to recall having to activate my new hdd in the device manager.  Open device manager and look at the properties of the missing drive.  Have you put a partition on the drive and formatted it?  May also have to re-arrange the drive letters of your CDrom but I don't think that's the issue

Detox

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 03:06:13 PM »
Have you tried control panel, Add Hardware wizard?

jen41ks

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 03:10:49 PM »
Thanks detox,
Ran hardware wizard, and i have to pick out hard drive from the list.  When it continues the wizard, the wizard says, the device is working properly.

Have you tried control panel, Add Hardware wizard?

Detox

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 03:16:50 PM »
First is a site with someone having a similar problem and what they didhttp://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9673388~mode=flat
Then there are some basic instructions to repartition your drivehttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309000
.  Its possible one drive is using Fat32 and the other NTFS and the are conflicting.

jen41ks

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 03:24:28 PM »
Thanks for the great links.  ohhhh   alot of reading ahead i see!   ;D  Will let you know the outcome.
::)

jen41ks

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 03:57:15 PM »
Detox,  
Went to the first link  that you posted.   http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9673388~mode=flat    When i went into computer management,  my c: drive says healthy (system) online.
My missing drive says:   unknown, not intialized, unallocated.

jen41ks

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 05:32:59 PM »
Thanks Merlin,
did everything that was listed on that link.  When trying to  change drive letter and path, the option isnt avaiable on the "missing drive."    The option is there on working harddrive.    This seems soo strange.    
Will read the references that was on the bottom of the page tomorrow.  Getting ready to leave for awhile.   Thanks everyone for helping, and i'll be back tomorrow.  
;)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft. com:80/support/kb/articles/q307/8/44.asp&NoWebContent=1#2

Detox

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 08:01:32 PM »
Found some more reading to do.  
Open Computer Manager(r-click my comp,manage)
Click on Disk Management
Click on Action (by file,view,window,etc.)
Click Help
Click Contents tab
Go down to Disk Management(expand it)
Read Checklist, How-to, Troubleshooting, etc.
-step by step it should hopefully get you out of your bind.  Let us know.

jen41ks

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 01:25:22 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get back Detox.  Okay,  made it one step further with your info.   Now when i go into computer management,  the lost drive now says, "online",  but still the other part says "unallocated."  Going to read more in the troubleshooter.  Will get back with results.
Thanks for the help.
;)

Found some more reading to do.  
Open Computer Manager(r-click my comp,manage)
Click on Disk Management
Click on Action (by file,view,window,etc.)
Click Help
Click Contents tab
Go down to Disk Management(expand it)
Read Checklist, How-to, Troubleshooting, etc.
-step by step it should hopefully get you out of your bind.  Let us know.

jen41ks

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 02:05:55 PM »
 ;DWOOHOOOO   sorry for the caps, but guess what?   I can now see the hard drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Went to the missing hard drive in computer management, after the status was "online"  went back into computer management, right clicked and went ahead and partitioned.  Set partition to biggest setting, then formatted.   Now the kids have 2 hard drives to mess up!!!!!!!!! LOL  
Thanks to Detox, Joleen and Merlin for all the help.  
I love this forum!!!
Thanks everyone. ::)