Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 11228 times)

scooterpickleman

Topic Starter

Beginner

New Computer
    « on: July 17, 2007, 06:53:21 PM »
    I want to get a new computer possibly a laptop. At first I was aiming for a gaming computer, but I've changed my mind. I don't want to spend that much money. What I would really like is a nice computer about $1000 dollars that would be good for animating and art stuff as well as casual gaming nothing super intensive. Any suggestions? (I think I'd really prefer a laptop I want the mobility. One that I can also hook my two moniters up to though)
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:08:41 PM by scooterpickleman »

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      Re: New Computer
      « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:44:01 PM »
      Do you have any preferred brands?

mike3851

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
      i would go with a sony vaio

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 09:37:41 PM »
        Mike .........
        would go with a sony vaio

Please list the reasons ..... it may be helpful.

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
        • Google
          « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 10:00:55 PM »
          In my opinion, if you want good value get a customized dell or if you are experienced enough - buy the components and make it up yourself.
          System specs:
          Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
          ASUS Striker Extreme
          XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
          2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
          Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
          Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
          -

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
            « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
            In my opinion, if you want good value get a customized dell or if you are experienced enough - buy the components and make it up yourself.
            YES!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:00:36 AM »
            If you want a laptop you will not be able to play many modern games at good settings on it for that budget, and you will not be able to buy the components and make it yourself.
            If you can live without the mobility I highly recommend you get a desktop instead, they're a lot cheaper, easier to maintain and easier to upgrade.  But it's your choice.

scooterpickleman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 04:40:17 PM »
              im not a big fan of dell. i know i could build a desktop myself i woudnt even knnow where to start with a laptop.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:42:04 AM »
              You can't do it, or to be more accurate you can, but it's very difficult and very expensive.  So it's really not a good idea.
              If you're going for a laptop, I'd recommend at least 1Gb of RAM (2Gb if you're going for Vista), a Core 2 Duo CPU, a 7200rpm HDD, and a 7400 class or better card.  The 7400 will handle older games at lower settings without pushing the cost up too much and without sucking all your battery life.  A 7600 class will handle games much better at the cost of battery life and mobility, plus the laptop will cost more.
              Also consider your screen, it's for life in a laptop.  Make sure you get the size and resolution you want.  And think about whether you want a glossy or matte screen, if you're not sure go to a local computer shop and ask to see some laptop screens to get a feel for them.
              If possible, try to test out the keyboard and touchpad of the laptop you want, as you can't change those either.
              Hopefully this gives you a good starting point.

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
              • Google
                « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:19:38 AM »
                I agree with Calum. Based on getting XP, which I currently recommend you should get, I'd get at least 1gB RAM, ~Core 2 Duo 1.83ghz, that will fly through XP and all your needs. Again as Calum mentioned, if you're looking for Vista in the future, you may have to push your budget and get 2x the ram and a DX10 graphics card. (ie. 8xxx series from nVidia).

What do you have against Dell? They're alright, and the prices are quite competitive. Not sure if they still come with XP though? Their sister company (i think?) Alienware, has more Gaming oriented models. For example SLi (2 Gcards) and 17" screens...

As always, its up to you, but we're glad to give more opinions.
                System specs:
                ASUS Striker Extreme
                XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
                -

beanhead07

Hopeful
                  « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 06:14:17 AM »
                  I love Dell I must say! I've got a very nice Dell laptop that I'm very happy with. But if you're wanting a laptop for art and animation and stuff I would suggest.... (and I can't believe I'm saying this.... ) I would suggest a Mac. If I were more into all the graphics and stuff like that, I would get a Mac, they are supposed to be really good for that kinda stuff. I've got a buddy here at work that does art stuff and he loves his Mac. So that's a suggestion too...
                  If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

scooterpickleman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 02:42:52 PM »
                    mac is the other thing i hate. lol i hate mac a lot they are so overpriced for that god *censored* apple lol.

Deerpark

Egghead
                      « Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:52:45 PM »
                      How about HP then? They're not expensive and they look good. The software package is usually not that great but not any worse than many other brand name laptops.
                      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                        « Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »
                        I have always know HPs to have problems. I would NOT recommend that brand. A friend had to continually get his screen replaced because it keept going out. The HPs my family has had have had lots of problems too. On the other hand, I have never known a Dell to have problems.

Deerpark

Egghead
                          « Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 06:21:27 PM »
                          I on the other hand have heard of a lot of problems with Dells and with all other major brands for that matter. Both HP and Dell was part of the major laptop battery recall for example. When you sell computers in the quantities Dell, HP, etc. does there's bound to be people with problems.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                            « Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:30 PM »
                            I on the other hand have heard of a lot of problems with Dells and with all other major brands for that matter. Both HP and Dell was part of the major laptop battery recall for example. When you sell computers in the quantities Dell, HP, etc. does there's bound to be people with problems.
                            Deerpark, all the batteries that were recalled were Sony batteries, not Dell or HP batteries. I'm sure these brands trusted Sony for their batteries. So that whole incident was really Sony's fault; not Dell's, not HP's.

Deerpark

Egghead
                              « Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 06:31:48 PM »
                              You can use that argument for most PC problems then. Most of the hardware in both Dell and HP computers aren't manufactured by them either. Is it their fault then if it malfunctions?

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

• Plz pm me if you know how to transparentize this.
                                « Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
                                I'd say so, If you're selling it, no matter where you got it from, it represents you. If McDonalds bought horrible tasting and diseased potatoes, you can bet everyone would see it as their fault, no the farmers.
                                "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
                                                 - Mahatma Gandhi

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem."
                                                 - Josef Stalin

soybean

Genius
                                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                                • Experience: Experienced
                                « Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 07:34:37 PM »
                                If McDonalds bought them, they bare the responsibility.  If the potatoes were "horrible tasting and diseased", McDonalds should have determined that by inspection before buying them or, it not then, before serving them.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                  « Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 07:47:30 PM »
                                  However, I haven't had any hardware trouble with Dell. And it's not that easy to test batteries. All other hardware can be easily tested for conflics.

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 08:23:06 PM »
                                    My point exactly. The farmers lose credibility with only the potato purchasers, not the recipients of the fries (the end product). The potato purchasers have the responsibility to buy good potatoes so as to not reflect badly on their own company, and should avoid farmers know to have a bad crop. However, if the pad potato farmers have a good crop the next year, the company can buy the potatoes and reflect well upon themselves.

Wow, talk about a tangent... We started off discussing what laptop would be the best buy, now we are talking of buying potatoes.
                                                     - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

beanhead07

Hopeful
                                      « Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
                                      Scooterpickleman, I agree with you full heartedly... I'm a fellow Mac-hater myself, always have been, but for graphics and stuff I must admit that they are better than PC. *shudders* I can't believe I heard myself say that. :) lol
                                      If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

simshi993052

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 01:37:58 AM »
                                        Forget the laptop for a $1000 dollars you can build a pretty decent desktop
                                        i would not recomend Vista
                                        101010101010101010101010101010101101010 101010110101010101010101010101010101010 101010101010101010101010101010101010101 010101010101010101010101010101010101010
                                                                                               ON or OFF ??

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                                          • Yes
                                        « Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 03:44:14 AM »
                                        I have to say I agree with the Mac views, they're very overpriced and a PC can do just as good a job with graphics nowadays.
                                        Forget the laptop for a $1000 dollars you can build a pretty decent desktop
                                        i would not recomend Vista
                                        Yes . . . read the first post and you will see they want a laptop.
                                        I also recommend a desktop, but if you want mobility, like the OP, you can't lug a desktop around because it hasn't got a battery and it's a bit large and heavy.

As for the other discussion, all manufacturers will have problems if you listen to everyone.
                                        That would be why you "have heard of a lot of problems with Dells and with all other major brands for that matter."
                                        The vocal minority are the people who have had problems, you don't usually see an entire website devoted to praising a company but you often see one dedicated to flaming them because of a few negative experiences.
                                        Taking the McDonalds analogy, if your friend has a bad chip, do you stay away for life and scream about how bad they are?
                                        Personally, I don't.

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:46:58 AM »
                                          Yeah, after that finger incident, Wendy's still sells chili (I rather like it, in fact). No one really talks about it any more, and their chili is good and finger-free.

I have yet to hear a good thing about Vista, so I too would warn you away from it. Unless you consider bugs and the like a good thing, in which case I've heard plenty of good things.

If you want portability but a desktop sound appealing, I have an idea. You could get a cart, load it with your PC and a diesel engine, and there you have it, both portable (take the elevator, not the stairs) and cheap (until the price of all that gasoline builds up). By using a biofuel (such as used vegetable oil that restaurants will give you free or even pay you to take), you can avoid this extra cost. I would suggest a tarp or the like for outside travel, and a way to hitch it on to the back of your vehicle for road trips.

BENEFITS OF VEGETABLE OIL POWERED DESKTOP PC
                                          • Free power source
                                          • Portability
                                          • More cost efficient than a laptop
                                          • Improved health, strength, and stamina from lugging around the heavy cart.

DISCLAIMER
                                          I am not to be held responsible for any damage resulting from anyone actually trying this. I mean, hey, if you break your legs from having your computer/engine/cart roll over you when you are going down hill, that's your fault. Isn't it sad that our society has come to this? Writing a disclaimer to an idea so I don't get sued... Wow.
                                                           - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
                                          • Google
                                            « Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »

Sony was the ones who made those batteries.
                                            System specs:
                                            ASUS Striker Extreme
                                            XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
                                            -

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                              « Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »
                                              Yeah, after that finger incident, Wendy's still sells chili (I rather like it, in fact). No one really talks about it any more, and their chili is good and finger-free.

I have yet to hear a good thing about Vista, so I too would warn you away from it. Unless you consider bugs and the like a good thing, in which case I've heard plenty of good things.

If you want portability but a desktop sound appealing, I have an idea. You could get a cart, load it with your PC and a diesel engine, and there you have it, both portable (take the elevator, not the stairs) and cheap (until the price of all that gasoline builds up). By using a biofuel (such as used vegetable oil that restaurants will give you free or even pay you to take), you can avoid this extra cost. I would suggest a tarp or the like for outside travel, and a way to hitch it on to the back of your vehicle for road trips.

BENEFITS OF VEGETABLE OIL POWERED DESKTOP PC
                                              • Free power source
                                              • Portability
                                              • More cost efficient than a laptop
                                              • Improved health, strength, and stamina from lugging around the heavy cart.
                                              Great idea! That'll be the next computer I get! ;D

DISCLAIMER
                                              I am not to be held responsible for any damage resulting from anyone actually trying this. I mean, hey, if you break your legs from having your computer/engine/cart roll over you when you are going down hill, that's your fault. Isn't it sad that our society has come to this? Writing a disclaimer to an idea so I don't get sued... Wow.
                                              So true! I'd better create a disclaimer for me soon.....

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                « Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »

Sony was the ones who made those batteries.
                                                Yeah I'm aware of that... you should read the posts after mine for the full discussion. My only point was that theres always going to be people with bad experience with a particular brand, these are usually a very tiny, very vocal, minority.

patio

• Genius
                                                • Maud' Dib
                                                  • Yes
                                                « Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »
                                                Who wants fries ? ?

::)
                                                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »
                                                  I sure could go for some, lugging around my desktop has me really worn out.  ;)
                                                                   - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                                    « Reply #30 on: July 22, 2007, 09:41:59 PM »
                                                    Hey save the grease.... I need it to power up my diesel engine.

FilluX

Intermediate

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 03:39:58 AM »
                                                      Back to the point?!
                                                      My brother recently got a hp pavilion dv6000, its pretty nice, big screen (for a laptop)
                                                      and good performance (for a laptop) and it was about 1000 €, and he can play F.E.A.R with medium/low settings!

-Filip
                                                      Xp sp2
                                                      P5n32-E Sli
                                                      q6600 @ 3,0 ghz + thermalright ultra 120 extreme
                                                      8800 gts 320mb
                                                      2gb ddr2 800mhz
                                                      Thermaltake toughpower 750w
                                                      Antec 900
                                                      Samsung 226bw

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »
                                                        How do Euros translate to dollars, I'm assuming American, but may be Canadian, etc. If they are like British pounds, then thats way over his budget.
                                                                         - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                          « Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 05:56:04 AM »

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 07:50:09 AM »
                                                            Never knew you could use Google for money conversions, just knew about their simple calculator. Google calculator knows the answer to life, the universe, and everything. (Imagine lugging Deep Thought around in a cart...)
                                                                             - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                                              « Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »
                                                              42, huh? Interesting....

soybean

Genius
                                                              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                                                              • Experience: Experienced
                                                              « Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
                                                              How do Euros translate to dollars, I'm assuming American, but may be Canadian, etc. If they are like British pounds, then thats way over his budget.
                                                              For a good currency converter, use Universal Currency Converter

Richenstony

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 04:49:05 PM »
                                                              Never knew you could use Google for money conversions, just knew about their simple calculator. Google calculator knows the answer to life, the universe, and everything. (Imagine lugging Deep Thought around in a cart...)
                                                              HAHA thats from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy lmao funny times :D

Tony :D

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 09:33:58 AM »
                                                                I think it's kinda funny that 6 x 9 = 42 in base 13, Douglas Adams said that was an accident. The numbers were pretty much random, and Arthur interpreted it not working out as a sign that something is fundamentally wrong with the universe.

So, yeah, 1000 € is a few hundred USD (American dollars) over budget, but maybe it'd be worth it for a good laptop. I can't really make that decision; it's not my money (though I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands for you...).

I doubt Scooterpickleman is still watching this topic since it has spun WAY off topic. Here's a map of the topic as I remember it:

TANGENT MAP
                                                                good laptop? --> laptop problems --> fry analogy --> chili analogy --> get a desktop --> use a cart --> don't use Euros --> Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
                                                                                 - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                                                  « Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 11:07:58 AM »
                                                                  Wow! So we have had eight different subjects in this one topic. :o

Actually, you forgot one:

good laptop? --> laptop problems --> fry analogy --> chili analogy --> get a desktop --> use a cart --> don't use Euros --> Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --> topic analogy

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »
                                                                    good laptop? --> laptop problems --> fry analogy --> chili analogy --> get a desktop --> use a cart --> don't use Euros --> Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --> topic analogy --> correction --> correction of your correction
                                                                                     - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                                                      « Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »
                                                                      good laptop? --> laptop problems --> fry analogy --> chili analogy --> get a desktop --> use a cart --> don't use Euros --> Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --> topic analogy --> correction --> correction of your correction --> topic death....

scooterpickleman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »
                                                                        im watching it lol cuz its funny and stuff

i like the desktop cart idea run on vegetable gas or sometin like that i just have come up witha  witty enough response for anything

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                                                          « Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:21 PM »
                                                                          im watching it lol cuz its funny and stuff

i like the desktop cart idea run on vegetable gas or sometin like that i just have come up witha  witty enough response for anything
                                                                          I am so not witty!