Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to make a daily auto-save of a particular file  (Read 4157 times)

Yvonne

How to make a daily auto-save of a particular file
« on: November 12, 2004, 09:28:44 AM »

I am a librarian assistant, may I know how to make a batch to auto-backup the informaton of the books returning and borrowing from the computer?
It really makes me feel headache.......can anyone help me????
:-[

Corrosive

Re: How to make a daily auto-save of a particular
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 12:57:21 PM »
All you need to do is open up Notepad and type the following line:
Code: [Select]
xcopy {File you want to copy} {Where you want to put the copied file} /H /I /C /K /E /R /Y

Strictly speaking, some of those switches at the end are unecessary, but hey, they do make it easier to remember.

Anyway, just save the file, making sure it has a *.bat extension (put double quotes around the filename when you type it, ie "file.bat"). Then double-click when you need it to save.

Making it automatically update each day, however, is a little beyond what I'm really qualified to do. Check out Computer Hope's own DOS section and the DOS forum here.

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Intermediate
  • Computerfreaks RULE !!!
    « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »
    Well u can use the Windows Task thingy.. Cause' I don't know what system u use (I suppose Windows 2000 cause' many networks use that), just open the Control Panel and there must be a Symbol named "Planned Tasks" or something like that. It must have Tasks in it's name open that, make a new task and choose which File is supposed 2 be opened evertime the task is executed. Then choose when and how often (in your case it would be daily). That's it !  ;)

Hope this helps (unless I'm too l8 !) [smiley=wink.gif]

P.S I don't know the exact names of the stuff cause' I use a German Windows XP !  :P :-[
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:51:00 PM by Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsle »
    Don't smoke!

phokur

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 11:02:36 AM »
    All you need to do is open up Notepad and type the following line:
    Code: [Select]
    xcopy {File you want to copy} {Where you want to put the copied file} /H /I /C /K /E /R /Y
    What is the /H /I /C /K /E /R /Y you used here?

Also, it's calles Scheduled Tasks in English XP. But that's a good idea Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley.