Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS Password being re-set what to expect  (Read 3096 times)

fbhwes

BIOS Password being re-set what to expect
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:33:12 PM »
 I have to send my laptop back to The manufacturer to have the BIOS Password re-set. I've already tried every other solution and came up empty. I just want to know what i can expect from my laptop when i get it back will it be like it was or will they have to re-install Vista. It was a stupid mistake on my part after a improper shut down that caused this problem a problem i had never heard of before.  I couldn't get the technichians to give me a whole lot of info about what to epect makes a lil leery about sending it off but i'm gonna anyway.

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
  • Google
    Re: BIOS Password being re-set what to expect
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:48:25 PM »
    First off, this software will most likely not work on a laptop, but there is a chance if your BIOS is on the list. Read all the warnings too.
    On laptops, the password is usually stored in an eeprom on the motherboard,
    you need an eeprom programmer (electronic device) to retrieve it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Decrypting-Decoding/CmosPwd.shtml

That link also has some information regarding passwords that certain BIOSs will always accept. Perhaps this may be of no help to you but others may benefit if they are in a similar situation.

Vista shouldn't have to be reinstalled in most cases, depending of the severity of the problem. Try asking the techies again, see if you can get any more info that may help you understand what's going on.
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
    -