Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: any way to restore this backup?  (Read 3506 times)

mattmag

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Iskam Yabulka
    any way to restore this backup?
    « on: July 19, 2007, 12:14:25 AM »
    im using vista ultimate x64. i have 3 hard drives - an 80gb, a 100gb, and a 500gb. i decided to try out dynamic drives today, and ended up rendering my system drive (the 100gb one) unbootable. "no problem", i thought, "i'll just install vista again on the 80gb hard drive, make a backup of the one that doesnt work, convert the 100gb drive back to basic, and restore the image." i have now converted it back to basic, only to find that i can't restore the backup that i made. i used a program caleld r-drive, and it made a .arc file which is on the 500gb dynamic disk. the program can mount the drive and i can see all the contents, but when i try to do a real restore i get a write error. can i somehow either restore the whole backup or rescue all my programs by putting them in this second vista installation (which is on the 80gb basic partition)?

khvn

Re: any way to restore this backup?
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:00:07 AM »
    Couple of questions for you:

(1) So the 100G messed up and you "converted it back to basic". What do you mean by this?

(2) What software do you use to restore/backup this drive? This can make a difference.

mattmag

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Iskam Yabulka
      « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:17:07 PM »
      i had converted it to a "dynamic disk" using windows disk management. this is what broke it. i changed it back to a "basic disk" after i made the backup, hoping to restore it. i used a program called r-drive, and it made a .arc file (i know i shouldve used a better program, but i cant change that now).

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 05:15:07 AM »
        if you are trying to restore the operating system to the disk that the dynamic overlay was set on you cannot because the overlay is still there. dynamic drive is a method of creating an software overlay on a hard drive, you must remove that overlay, download swiss knife from here:-

http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm
        format in order to remove the overlay, then try to recover the image that you created.

dynamic drive overlay was originally invented to allow a hard drive of overlarge proportions to be seen in older BIOS motherboards.
        Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.