Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with Norton Internet Security file ccSvcHst.exe  (Read 9868 times)

Aeshion

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Problems with Norton Internet Security file ccSvcHst.exe
    « on: July 20, 2007, 05:39:57 AM »
    I have Norton Internet Security 2007 with AntiVirus 2007, fully updated through LiveUpdate

According to the Task Manager, the ccSvcHst.exe file frequently uses over 500MB of RAM and over 50% of my CPU usage.

My computer is custom-built.

This my system information:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ running at 2.4GHz
    2GB of RAM
    250GB Master drive with 120GB Slave
    Intergrated sound car
    Radeon x550 graphics card running dual monitors
    As well as Norton I also run Spybot and Ad-aware, frequently updated.

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      Re: Problems with Norton Internet Security file ccSvcHst.exe
      « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:00:35 AM »
      unfortunately all Symantec Norton protection products, does use up a lot of resources in any computer installed with it, it is constantly running in the background and unless you change the update timings, it will be constantly checking for updates all  the time. A recent survey puts Norton at the top of resource hogs with McAfee a close second. if you want to keep using it you have to just accept the slow start up, slow internet browsing, you can type in "norton resource hog? " your browser and see the results for yourself, the other problem with norton is it is very difficult to remove without leaving bits behind, if you want to remove it, check the norton website for help full removal tools for your version, thats about the only good help they are giving nowadays. By they way both Norton 360 and Microsoft’s Windows Live One Care are almost identical in features and performance, and resource hunger.
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:05:58 AM »
        Yeah Aeshion you wont find many Norton fans on this board. It truly is a resource hungering monster.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Aeshion

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:34:33 AM »
          Sorry, but that seems like a very generic answer, I probably should have been more specific.

The other computer in the house is nearly same system with the exact same Norton installed but with a 2GHz Dual Core processor instead of 2.4, and it never has this problem.

The ccSvcHst file has occasionally used over 1GB of RAM.

This problem only occurs once per computer session, if I end process it auto-restarts but I don't have the problem until next computer restart.

I'm worried it may be a virus affecting it, but that's just a guess so I posted in Software.