Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Anyone knows how to get rid of this?  (Read 10318 times)

chpok

Anyone knows how to get rid of this?
« on: November 13, 2004, 05:12:44 PM »

Hello,
I recently started to receive strange message windows from "SPYWARE ADVISORY" with "instructions to learn how to fix your computer" to visit www.spw9c.com.
I recon it is a sort of worm, but do not know which one and how to get rid of it.
I formatted HD twice.  I suspects it sits in BIOS or in modem (is it possilbe?). Anyone had similar problems?
Actually, it all began when I got enlighted with an idea of making my computer really safe by downloading firewalls and spyware detection programs.  

Please help this is driving me nuts!!! :'(

merlin_2

Re: Anyone knows how to get rid of this?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 05:18:41 PM »
disable system restore...........and run this>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and run spysweeper from webroot.com...its very strange for it to be in the bios or modem? may system will not allow me to access this site**>www.spw9c.com. i wonder why...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 05:21:05 PM by merlin_2 »

chpok

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 05:25:34 PM »
Could you please let me know how to disable "system restore"?

Is it possible for virus to infect a system after HD is formatted?

Thanks

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 05:32:27 PM »

1.  Could you please let me know how to disable "system restore"?

2.  Is it possible for virus to infect a system after HD is formatted?...

1.  Start--Programs--Accessories--Sytem Tools--System Restore

2.  Yes.  

chpok

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 05:39:09 PM »
Unfortunately I have windows 2000 and it does not have "system restore" tool :(

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 11:14:02 AM »
Boot to Safe Mode and scan for virus.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 04:30:49 PM »
    ... Slightly off topic, but how can a virus infect a harddrive after formatting? Could someone explain? I thought formatting removed everything...
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 04:31:15 PM by Neil »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 04:39:14 PM »
    ... Slightly off topic, but how can a virus infect a harddrive after formatting? Could someone explain? I thought formatting removed everything...

It will remove it until the computer is reconnected to the internet and infected again.

2k dummy

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 05:21:05 PM »
    Some types of virus can reinfect the HD if the boot disk is infected. EBD should be write protected after creation.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 05:26:57 PM »
    Boot sector virus.  Forgot about those.

chpok

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 07:06:40 AM »
    Hello guys,

Many thanks for your help.
    Stinger found about 5 infections on my computer and so did Spy Sweeper (3 infections).
    I also installed Zone Alarm with their latest update (zlsSetup_55_062_000).
    In ZA popups I could see that virus (or something) was trying to get into the system from internet.
    I then run stinger with Spysweeper again and found two more infections.
    Now system seems to be a considerably faster than when I shared it with viruses.
    It also helps to update firewall and any virus applications to the latest versions.

I would recommend to have boot disks handy at all times, so I am planning to create some this time before s**t hits the fan again.

I have a couple of questions:
    1) Are all floppies that I used previously on infected system also infected? and how can one disinfect them?

2) Zone alarm has  "High internet zone security" setting which makes your computer invisible on the net.  I put it on so it would become difficult for viruses to find their way back, but apparently it also makes it impossible for Internet Explorer to connect to the internet now, so I have to use "Medium" security setting meaning that viruses can see my machine.  Is there a way around it?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 10:47:19 AM »
    I have a couple of questions:
    1) Are all floppies that I used previously on infected system also infected? and how can one disinfect them?

2) Zone alarm has  "High internet zone security" setting which makes your computer invisible on the net.  I put it on so it would become difficult for viruses to find their way back, but apparently it also makes it impossible for Internet Explorer to connect to the internet now, so I have to use "Medium" security setting meaning that viruses can see my machine.  Is there a way around it?

1.  Possibly.  Depends on the virus.  Anti-Virus program (you do have one now?) will find virus when disk is accessed and offer to clean the virus from it.

2.  Medium setting is sufficient.  A firewall is not an anit-virus.  You need both!

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 10:48:56 AM »

1. Scan them for viruses.

2. You'll never completely be invisible. Some software firewall really isn't going to make you an impenetrable fortress. You'll have to look deeper into security if you want to learn more.

Start with ditching IE. Haven for anything but good.

Mozilla Firefox is an excellent browser. If configured properly.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 10:50:38 AM by Raptor »

PC Man

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 01:19:16 PM »
    You probably installed free "spyware removing software" which is exactly where your spyware came from.

The only spyware removal tools that I would ever use that are free are spybot, adaware, and spysweeper.

lacey

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 04:45:48 PM »
    Will this work for me as well?

Hello,
    I recently started to receive strange message windows from "SPYWARE ADVISORY" with "instructions to learn how to fix your computer" to visit www.spw9c.com.
    I recon it is a sort of worm, but do not know which one and how to get rid of it.
    I formatted HD twice.  I suspects it sits in BIOS or in modem (is it possilbe?). Anyone had similar problems?
    Actually, it all began when I got enlighted with an idea of making my computer really safe by downloading firewalls and spyware detection programs.  

Please help this is driving me nuts!!! :'(