Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NEED HELP ADDING OLD HARD DRIVE TO NEW VISTA SATA COMPUTER!  (Read 4063 times)

puckzilla

If anyone could help, I would be really appreciative.  Here is the scenario:

1.  Just bought a new HP computer w/ Windows Vista Home Premium.  It is a HP Pavillion a6113w.

2.  I want to add a second hard drive from my old computer.  The hard drive is 1 yr old and has NO OS on it...Just misc files.  It is a Maxtor 200gb HD.

3.  My new computer is wired with "SATA" cables.  My old computer was the standard IDE wiring, it was bought new in 2002.  I had to add the old Maxtor drive by using the IDE ribbon-type wiring harness.  I attached it to the IDE slot on the motherboard, then to the harddrive and plugged in the power supply.

4.  When I do that, I get the message "Error Loading OS" when the computer is in start up, and it stops there.

5.  As I mentioned, there is NO operating system on the Maxtor drive.  Is my jumper cable placement incorrect? Someone thinks I need to fix this issue by going into the computer's BIOS???

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can add this secondary drive to my computer.  THanks.

mundesley

Re: NEED HELP ADDING OLD HARD DRIVE TO NEW VISTA SATA COMPUTER!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:18:33 AM »
I had the same problem.

Cause: When I added the EIDE drive it set itself as the first boot drive, hence no OS

Solution: Enter BIOS and look for a "Boot Priority" function NOT the option to boot from CD-ROM, Floppy first etc and change the boot priority back to the SATA drives.