Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do i make a hard drive the master drive?  (Read 2499 times)

scoop

Topic Starter

Starter

How do i make a hard drive the master drive?
    « on: August 02, 2007, 02:42:29 PM »
    Hi ,good day. My operating system is Windows 2000 and the hard drive was small only 5 GB. A friend sent me a hard drive with quite a lot of space  i think its 40 GB.I got it hooked up but this guy doesnt seem to know how to get it to work as the master drive. Can anyone help?

truenorth

Guru

Re: How do i make a hard drive the master drive?
      « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:09:48 PM »
      Scoop--your question requires further information to properly answer it.For instance do you intend to reformat all your drives (particularly the existing 5gb drive)?The actual physical process is very simple.It is done by the setting of the jumper pins on the rear of the hardrives. In this case assuming the only HDD until now was the 5gb it would need to be changed to slave and the "new" 40bg  selected to master. However the computer wants to find an operating system at startup.So unless you are prepared to install an operating system on your "new" master i doubt that your computer will do very much with only the physical pin designations being done. truenorth

scoop

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:16:56 AM »
        Thanks.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »
        Find out what make the 40G is.
        DLoad the free software from the manuf. site.
        Connect the 40 to where the CDRom drive/s are.
        Reboot and run the DLoad and "clone" the 5G to the 40G.
        This will give you an exact replica of what you had on the 5G.
        Shut down.
        Disconnect the 5G drive, replace it with the 40G with the jumpers set on the back of the 40G set to master and hook it up at the end of the ribbon cable.
        Re-boot a few times in a row and make sure all is running.
        If so at a later time you can hook up the 5G on the middle ribbon connector with it's jumpers set to slave and then format/erase it and use it for extra storage.

Free and simple. Just take your time.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "