Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Virus I think  (Read 4510 times)

windowsxp44

HELP! Virus I think
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:03:16 PM »
My computer runs XP SP2 and i left my computer running connected to a high-speed internet connection with no firewall. It was on for 15 minutes with nobody in the room (just enogh time to go into Stand By mode). When I turned the Pc back on, Windows does not know what EXEs are or what .lnk files are, therefore, no shortcuts or applications will run. And when shutting down or logging off, I get a weird message with goofy letters with an "OK" button, when you click "OK" it continues. Does anybody know what kind of problem or virus this is and how to get rid of it? Formatting would be a big problem because CD burning software does not work. And I have important documents. P.S. - I've tried disconnecting the internet and restarting, doesnt help. Also there is no more "Turn Off Computer" option on the Login Screen. Help  ??? Only Internet Explorer and windows explorer will run.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:06:39 PM by windowsxp44 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: HELP! Virus I think
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:18:22 PM »
     windowsxp44....Lesson #1....Dont ever leave your pc unattended......see what happened . You could end up being charged with neglect of your pc.
    Now ...what anti-virus software do you have installed and running on your pc?
    Next , you do have a firewall, XP sp2 has one built into it.
    click on the firewall icon in the control panel .....for more info.
    It would be nice to know...."And when shutting down or logging off, I get a weird message with goofy letters with an "OK" button, when you click "OK" it continues."
    what the goofy letters are.
    Moving right along......what has the fact that your burning software doesnt work got to do with formatting ?   Why doesnt your burning software work ?
    what are you using ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:19:05 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 01:43:19 PM »
    Definatly a virus. possibly spyware. Ouch... :o

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 02:44:43 AM »

windowsxp44

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 02:56:20 PM »
    Problem Solved!  ;D - Scanned with McAfee online scan (instead of AVG), and found a virus and fixed it. I forget the name of it. It was a worm.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 03:19:01 PM »
    WOW! Congrats! Consider yourself lucky.... Many people loose more than that..... ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]