Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Netscape MySQL Error  (Read 4135 times)

nytwulf

Netscape MySQL Error
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:49:29 AM »
Hi, I am trying to help out one of my father's friends with a computer problem he is having.  He told me that everytime he tries to open Netscape7 it will not load the browser and just throws up two errors.  He read them off to me and this is what they are:

Warning, MySQL connect function.MySQL-connect cannot connect to local MySQL Server through
socket '/var/lib/MySQL/MySQL.sock'(2) in
/data/servers/www_netscape_com/htdocs.070808.3517/lib/php/sqldatabase.php on line 338

and

warning, MySQL_error(): supplied argument  is not a valid MySQL_link resource in
/data/servers/www_netscape_com/htdocs.070808.3517/lib/php/sqldatabase.php on line 341

I would just tell him to update to the newest version of netscape, but he uses the email program on there and will not go to a different email program or use a web based email.  I had a difficult enough time getting him to upgrade from Windows98 to WindowsXP and buy a cheapo computer that would run it when his Win98 machine crapped out.  Then, I managed to get him to upgrade from dial-up, but he didn't go to cable like I suggested and went with DSL, which our provider in the area for DSL is horrible, so more headaches there.  I know I will not be able to get him to switch without me helping him for a good six hours or more and numerous phone calls.

I have been looking online all day for an answer to this problem and I find the same error all over the place, but it is not in help forums, it is just on pages where someone used PHP improperly.  I really don't understand how that could have anything to do with a browser not loading correctly unless the browser was corrupted.  Thanks to anyone that tries to help.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Netscape MySQL Error
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:11:22 AM »
Is this on every page?
When exactly does it happen?

nytwulf

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:14:58 AM »
It happens when he tries to open a netscape window.  It happens before it tries to load a page.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 11:21:53 AM »
OK, try reinstalling Netscape.

nytwulf

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »
do you know where I can get Netscape 7?  He uses the email program on that and the newer versions do not have the email program.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:30:04 AM »

nytwulf

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:33:16 AM »
Thanks, that should do the trick.  I never knew about that site.  Thanks again.  I will go install that as soon as I can.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:35:09 AM »
You're welcome, it was just the first search result when I searched for Netscape 7 download.
Hope it helps.

nytwulf

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 01:15:43 PM »
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work.  When I went over to look at it I tried Netscape and the browser opened and I could still access the mail program, both unlike what I was told.  The only thing that was the same as what I was told were the errors.  I could still use the browser to look at any other sites, just not the Netscape homepage.  Any other Netscape page I went to worked, but the homepage did not.  I was actually able to pull up the netscape homepage on Internet Explorer.  I wish people would give correct info when they ask for computer help.  He told me after I had brought to his attention that he lied to me and his excuse was "Well, I openend it and saw those errors and didn't try anything more."  Argh.  Well, thanks for your help anyways.  One last thing, if anyone happens to know how this could happen, he is constantly losing all of his bookmarks in his browsers.  When I check the files where the bookmarks are stored they are still there, but he keeps getting rid of them only while the browser is open.  He doesn't have a clue as to how it happens.