Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Return from sleep mode -- CD tray opens  (Read 10138 times)

jondoh

Return from sleep mode -- CD tray opens
« on: November 19, 2004, 06:53:51 PM »

Every time I return from sleep mode my CD tray flies open. Is this the sign of a virus? Thanks.

merlin_2

Re: Return from sleep mode -- CD tray opens
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 04:13:31 AM »
could be...scan for them....or it could be this?>http://www.jokingaround.com/downloads/havoc.asp
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 04:17:27 AM by merlin_2 »

jondoh

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 09:21:04 AM »

This has been happening for over a month during which time I've probably scanned for viruses, trojans and spyware a dozen times, and the Web site description of the CD tray trick doesn't sound like what's happening on my computer. I searched my hard drive for Remote Havoc and came up with nothing.

If I do have this software messing with me, how would I detect/disable/delete the Remote HAVOC intrusion?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:03:42 PM »
system info..........does it only do it in sleep mode...

jondoh

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 03:50:28 PM »

I checked System Info. I can't see anything in Running Tasks, Loaded Modules, Services, Program Groups or Startup Programs. I could have overlooked something, however, I'm not that experienced.

Yes the Cd tray opens only when I return from sleep mode. It doesn't shut back, though. I have to do that manually.

My CDR-RW is an older model - could it just be a driver problem?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 03:54:10 PM »
What happened the day before the problem started? Do you recall trying new software?

As for using sleep mode.. Why not simply shut it down?

jondoh

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 05:50:29 AM »
I really don't remember what I might have been doing just prior to the problem. It was already happening before I installed XP SP2, though. I have installed a few utilities from the Internet over the last few months, but I can't remember exactly which ones they were or exactly when they were installed. I had not installed any Windows updates during the time the problem started. I imagine there's a log file somewhere that would list my program installations, but I don't know how to access it. If there is, please let me know and I'll check it out.

I use sleep mode because my health isn't that good and I have to take several rest breaks from computing during a day's time. It's easier for me as I can simply disconnect the cable (and avoid hackers) and walk away, avoiding many slow shutdowns and startups. Actually, I'm just following the advice of experts in publications I've read. Is shutting down each time the best way?

I have a much newer CD/DVD ± R/RW drive I can install that, although not state-of-the-art, is XP compatible with driver upgrades available. If we're unable to pinpoint the CD problem, I can uninstall that drive and borrow the newer drive and see if it solves the problem.  

Thanks for all the help.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 09:14:45 AM »
(and avoid hackers)

Wrong. Hackers can not be simply avoided by pulling the cable when you're not using the computer.

Even when you are using the computer, Hackers can have free access to your system unless you install decent security.

Is shutting down each time the best way?  

Consumes less power compared to keeping your computer in sleep mode for longer periods of time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 09:16:29 AM by Raptor »

jondoh

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 11:14:20 AM »
Oh, I've used AV software and firewalls for several years, now. I've had Norton, Grisoft and others catch several viruses, but I've never had a virus spread on my system; and never had to format or start over. I've never had a trojan do damage either. I simply read that any firewall can, under certain conditions, blow it and let the bogeyman through, and that it's best to disable the Internet connection if the computer will sit idle for some time.

I've switched to Windows Firewall since it was upgraded by SP2. I get "fully stealthed" reports when I run the full tests at Sygate and other testing sites, but I am in the dark as to how it works. I've never once been asked for my permission to allow a service or application to access the Internet, yet they're all running and working properly as they did with Kerio Firewall. What's your opinion of Windows Firewall?  

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 11:22:40 AM »
I've switched to Windows Firewall since it was upgraded by SP2. I get "fully stealthed" reports when I run the full tests at Sygate and other testing sites, but I am in the dark as to how it works. I've never once been asked for my permission to allow a service or application to access the Internet, yet they're all running and working properly as they did with Kerio Firewall. What's your opinion of Windows Firewall?

A firewall that should be replaced by any decent software firewall. It has minimal options. Microsoft probably implented it to make Windows XP look secure. (Look, not act)

I have never heard of Kerio firewall, I'd recommend the Sygate firewall (Professional edition)

jondoh

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 03:50:05 PM »
Thanks, raptor.

Guess Ill try Free ZoneAlarm. I really don't want to pay for a firewall when there are several very good free ones available. I don't require many features.. just block it coming and going and I'm happy.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 05:37:12 AM »
I have tried both Zone Alarm Free and Sygate Personal Free and I prefered the latter.

Zone Alarm is easier to configure as it comes with a tutorial, though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 05:37:28 AM by Raptor »

jondoh

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 01:41:44 PM »
I apologize for continuing to drag this along, but I have one last problem to put before you:

I purchased the Norton Firewall for a couple of years but switched to Kerio Free last year. I was stealthed for those 3 years but suddenly about 3 months ago something happened and Kerio lost it's ability to stealth my ports. I tried 4 other free firewalls and have yet to find one (other than Windows Firewall) that can hold on to it's stealthing. I can't come up with anything at all that I could have inadvertently done to have caused this. Would you rate it: (1) as dumb as; or (2) dumber than; a flying CD tray? :D

Seriously, if anybody has any idea what's causing this, I sure would appreciate some help.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 01:48:18 PM »
that can hold on to it's stealthing.

I suggest that you visit Home of Gibson Research Corporation and take the
"ShieldsUP!" test to learn more about your current security and what the term 'Stealthed' actually means.

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 05:02:12 PM »
the system info i was refering to was like  1 gig ram a geforce card...duo cpu ...etc..it could be a irq ..or power issue that cause this...how old is your motherboard..and the best firewall to have is an hardware one...buy a router like a netgear.+(and because m$oft bragged how good winxp*** was)<its been in operation now since 2000 and still the problems occur why?> moan\ ..***.the crackers move in to disprove it....longhorns...next...the like m$blaster worm..etc..stop patching m$oft and produced a bomb proof system...strange that apple/mac does not have these problems...<steve jobs tell bill how to do it>or bring back the amiga ibm..must have been watching amstrad....mr sugar...throw them out the door cheap they will buy ¬em.if+this applies to winxp your system be the trusted o/s win9x...and win3.1 is still in use?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 05:19:34 PM by merlin_2 »