Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: left clicking no longer opens folder  (Read 2915 times)

songdongnigh

Topic Starter

Rookie

left clicking no longer opens folder
    « on: August 01, 2007, 02:04:03 PM »
    Hello, 

Specs first:
    Windows XP home, SP2, all updates & patches except internet explorer 7.
    Computer: HP Pavilion 750n, Pentium 4 cpu; 1.6GHz, 1.5 GB ram.
    AVG 7.5 Anti-virus/firewall V7.5.478, updated several times per day, run every other day.
    Counterspy 2.5.10322 version 599, updated several times per day, run every other day.
    Ad-Aware  Personal, up dated & run 2-4 times per week
    Spybot search & destroy freeware, updated & run 2-4 times per week.
    Firefox 2.0.0.4
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.4
    VLC media player, windows media player turned off.

Problem:
    Recently during a windows search for a file, I got a "windows is having a problem and has to shut down" message, a not unusual occurrence.  However this time after the shutdown, when I left click a file folder, the search screen appears with the name of the file in the "look in" window. I can open the file by then hitting "search", OR by right clicking the folder & hitting "open".  This is of course a bit of a hassle after so many years of left clicking to open a folder.  Plus it means something is screwed up in Windows. 

UPDATE 080307:  I see folks are looking at this but no theories yet. To add interest, the left click problem does not happen with all folders.  For instance I can still left click "mycomputer" OK but then have to right click & open "C" drive etc.  Also, desktop short cuts as for AVG & such left click OK.  The "windows has a problem and needs to shut down" has happend occasioinally since I've had the system, 5 years.  :) 

Any help greatly appreciated.
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:49:57 AM by songdongnigh »

songdongnigh

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: left clicking no longer opens folder
      « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »
      Hello all, I got a resolution to the left click problem at annoyances.org.  Thanks to all who looked at my problem and pondered for an answer.  Windows is like a crazy house with shifting floors, smoke and mirrors.  I do however enjoy browsing the forum just to see the problems and solutions posted here.  In the spirit of sharing info here is the solution:
      My reply to Rich:
      Rich, regsvr32 /i shell32.dll did the trick.  Thanks much for your help.  I'll keep the fix handy.  I looked over the knowledge base at Microsoft but could not ask the right question I guess. 
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Rich's solution:
      On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 5:47 pm, Rich Kurtz wrote:
      >You need to restore the default open behavior, try the following:
      ><p>Go to Start then Run, type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll and press Enter or click
      >OK
      ><p>See if that fixes the problem. If not do the following:
      ><ol compact>
      ><li>Start Registry Editor (Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter of
      >click OK)
      ><li>Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry
      >if this problem occurs with folders:
      >
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
      >
      If this problem occurs with drives:
      >
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
      ><li>Click Modify on the Edit menu.
      ><li>Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
      ><li>Quit Registry Editor.
      ></ol>
      ><p>Above taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186