Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformatting troubles  (Read 3149 times)

Hoowah

Reformatting troubles
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »
Well heres the problem. IO have my own computer which my brother uses on occasion for his iPod and such. Apparently he disabled Norton or something not sure how but he managed to DL one *censored* of a virus. I tried pretty well everything I knew as far as fixing it goes (I have some computer knowledge but not extensive to say the least) and started talking to one of my friends from Geek Sqaud.

Anyway what this virus did, was of course made the usual popups come non stop, and for some reason I was unable to run Norton to scan it in the least, so I uninstalled and reinstalled but the reinstallation kept failing, saying there was an error. So I decided that my best bet would be reformatting (I have all my stuff backed up on an external HD so reformattiong or losing info isn't a big deal to me), but as soon as it got to the actual installation part it errored so I shut down and fixed my BIOS and booted from disk (I have a "real" cd) I'm running windows XP Home, on a touch systems computer, I have about 1 gig of RAM. Anyway once I got through all the loading and such it says Setup is Starting Windows (where it would normally take me to repair console install windows etc...) and instead of the usual screen I got a blue screen of death, saying the usual new hardware software blah blah blah, it said Session3_Initilization_Failed and ***Stop: 0x0000006f (0xc0000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

After all that I was able to get back on and all control panel, accounts and such said I required admin access ( I have admin) so I went to safe mode and logged into the admin account and it still said I required admin access, so I figured I would just wipe my drive and start over from scratch, so i tried a program called killdisk. It seems to have worked but now of course I obviously cant log on, when I try to boot from HD it justs lets out a long continuous beep. and when I try to boot from disk I still get the same error message as I did earlier so essentialy, I was a retard and screwed my comp up bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Reformatting troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »
After you use Killdisk you must repartition and reformat your hard drive.

Have you did this yet ?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Hoowah

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:11:01 PM »
I only really know how to Partition from this screen http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/Hard%20Drive/SP32-20031227-173215.gif or if I can actually get onto an account, so essentaily I have to remove my HD put it into my external HD case bring it up to this comp and parition it from here?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 06:39:33 PM »
Sounds like alot of work...why not just install it as an internal slave drive ? ?
Then partition and format it from Disk Management...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »
    What kind of condition is the cd in?  Scratches can cause errors like that if it corrupts the right data.  Also, you might try unplugging any non-essential hardware; the less Windows has to screw up with, the better.  Maybe that'll let you reinstall sucessfully.

Also, keep in mind that since you backed up your data on an external drive, you might have backed up the malware as well.

Hoowah

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:10:25 PM »
    What kind of condition is the cd in?  Scratches can cause errors like that if it corrupts the right data. 
    Embarassingly enough that was the problem,  cant believe I didnt notice. Also I had all my important stuff backed up from quite a while back so its hopefully ok, plus my external is usually off unless I'm using it.

Thanks a ton for all the help and suggestions guys.