Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP choice disappeared on Multiple boot menu  (Read 4571 times)

steam03

XP choice disappeared on Multiple boot menu
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:22:09 AM »
Hi all, I have a major problem on my computer and been looking around for help.  I'm new here and hopefully I can find some answers to my problem.  THanks.

I have just built my new computer.  Everything seems okay.  I have installed XP Pro SP2.  Ran perfect.  I installed it in partition C:

Then I have decided to install VISTA business as a multiple OS system.  I used Partition Magic to create another primary partition where my VISTA will sit.  THis was partition D:    Then I got some logical partitions for pure storage purposes.

FOr some reason, my computer froze in the process of VISTA installation.  I restarted computer but installation did not continue where it stopped.  So I installed a brand new copy onto that partition D: (Of course, I reformatted D: before I installed).  VISTA is then installed.

BUT, when I boot up, I thought I am supposed to see a boot menu with 2 choices: Earlier version of windows (XP) and VISTA.  I didn't get that screen at all, it just boots right into VISTA.  But I can see that my XP partition is still there. 

What can I do to bring that boot menu up again so I can choose XP or VISTA?

THANKS!

PS:  after all that installation, my VISTA partition became C: and my XP partition became D:....I duno what the *censored* happened here............. ???

The Saviour

Re: XP choice disappeared on Multiple boot menu
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 05:12:11 AM »
Take your pick:

Dual Boot XP and Vista

NDog

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 05:56:29 AM »
Hey how are you doing?

I'm a computer technician and I feel sorry for you buddy. You tried to do the old Dual boot trick and it stuffed your mbr eh

Personally what I would do in this situation is create a very small primary partition at the end of your drive (you know how to do that). You should make it FAT and at least 2MB. Create a Bootable CD that can get into DOS prompt and copy a boot loader called XOSL http://www.ranish.com/part/ into that partition. You will probably want to use a windows 98 boot disk or a dos boot disc, which might be hard to find but i'm sure you're smart enough. Once you have copied the XOSL folder into the partition, run it and install it to that partition. You now have a boot loader which allows you to choose which partition you want to set active.

In my opinion it's better to set the partition active to install and boot multiple Operating Sysytems that way, rather than compiling the windows boot.ini to multi-boot your PC.

After you have done this your computer may or may not work. You will get a little boot loader start up and you can choose to boot off primary partitions so you can setup partition for windows xp and partition for windows vista.

If you get this far and everythings working then you can wipe the end FAT partition of your harddrive, since the bootloader is your mbr and doesn't actually sit on the end of your harddrive, however you should create a backup of your mbr by using a DOS based tool such as mbrrest and a windows based one as well (they both can load and restore mbr files no matter what extension it has).

If you get this far and windows xp doesn't boot even though you configured it in XOSL then you will need to rebuild your mbr by using a tool such as partition doctor. You can then try XOSL again and if windows xp now loads, but vista doesn't load then you will need to do these steps 1)Set the primary partion you are installing vista to as active 2)install vista onto the partition now that its active 3)Install XOSL again

Just a small note about active partitions - There can only be one active partition at one time, if you look in partition magic you will see which partition is active. If you see that your vista partition is active, then that is a good sign, if windows xp is still active then you are going to have a few problems and need to follow the lengthy process I wrote. The active partition is where your operating system will load from and it will also show up as C: which is what you said. Thats why I suspect you are in luck, but you should check the settings in partition magic and if it is active then get XOSL now and it will work fine.

just make sure you save your mbr before installing XOSL since it will overwrite your current one, just incase it doesnt work!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:11:47 AM by NDog »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 06:30:58 AM »
Then I have decided to install VISTA business as a multiple OS system.  I used Partition Magic to create another primary partition

This is where it went wrong...you can only have one active partition per physical drive. Had you left it as an extended partition you would have been fine.

This is a gamble but you may have to start over anyways so the tradeoff is in your favor: using Partition Magic change D: (where the XP install is) back to active. Save the changes and re-boot

If you are lucky when you restart you will be presented with the dual-boot menu choice.

Best of Luck to You.

p.s. Just thought of this ...since the partitions were changed prior to the Vista install this probably will not work...however if XP loads properly all you have left to do is re-install Vista so it's still worth it.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "