Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Limited or no connectivity?  (Read 4794 times)

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

Limited or no connectivity?
    « on: August 23, 2007, 06:15:03 PM »
    Ok, this has to be something easy and stupid that I'm just overlooking. Let me explain the situation first. I have a small home network, 3 computers (1 wireless). The other night Time Warner changed my IP. Well, ever since then I have no internet connection. So, I took down the network, connected my "main" computer directly to the modem. Changed my TCP/IP properties to obtain an IP address automatically. Well, now I have internet. The funny thing is it will go down out of the blue for no reason for a few minutes and then come back up.

*Like right now! When I was posting this, my internet went down for exactly 8 minutes. *censored*??  ??? *

My main concern is when I hook any other computer directly to the modem (unplugging this computer) I can't connect. I have change the TCP/IP setings for them as well. All I get out of them is "Limited or no connectivity". I have hooked them directly to the modem...

Any suggestions on what else should I be checking?
    Can a modem set itself to only communicate with one computer?  :-\
    Any additional information would be helpful. Thanks!

Specs:
    ISP: Time Warner (Road Runner)
    Error: Limited or no connectivity with the Local Area Connection

JXY

Hopeful
      Re: Limited or no connectivity?
      « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:27:43 AM »
      welcome to computerhope forum, railsun.

Which service pack are you using?

Also, how long have you had this computer?
      Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

Spero-T

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:59:21 AM »
      I had the same problem !!

Oddly enough it just stopped ? sorry i cant help

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 10:39:16 AM »
        Thanks for the welcome!

I'm on SP2

I built the computer about 3 months ago. Just to update on the situation, last night I got my other computers to work by booting to safe mode with networking. I had internet in safe mode and then when I rebooted back to regular mode. So, that part seams to be resolved somehow. I'm still having an issue with internet connection in general though.

If I run ping www.google.com -t  I get weird results. Sometimes I get all packets, sometimes it slows and I only get a few packets, sometimes it completely dies and I get no packets at all. This is the same with the network setup and if I connect one computer  directly to the modem (no network) with firewall and other software turned off.

I'm almost convinced this is an ISP or modem issue. I called my ISP and they pinged the modem. They said it was working fine... They also sent a tech out. Of course I had no problems when he was there. He said it was fine. Shortly after he left, it went down and started its fit again. Thanks for the help.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 05:04:25 PM »
        Sorry i don't know this but is RoadRunner cable or DSL ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JXY

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 06:34:38 PM »
          hmmm....

If I run ping www.google.com -t  I get weird results. Sometimes I get all packets, sometimes it slows and I only get a few packets, sometimes it completely dies and I get no packets at all.

this is strange. I've never encountered this before. When my network was down, i would always lose all packets.

The last thing i can think of is.......maually inputting your ip address...although i'm not sure if that would work. can't guarantee anything.  :-\

run the ipconfig /all command.

go to your network properties >  TCP/IP > properties > and input the dns servers and ip address which were displayed.
          Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:48:27 PM »
            Well, I spoke with my ISP again for a while this time (someone that actually listened). They seam to think it may be the connection from the box to the house or the box itself. They are going to send someone out again to take another look. It's up and running full speed right now. We will see how it goes.

I use to have locked IP's by the way. I took that all down to try and find the root of the situation. I just can't believe I have to put all this back together!  :o I'll keep you posted.