Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My new PC infected after 5min on net...how?  (Read 9675 times)

laptop

My new PC infected after 5min on net...how?
« on: November 23, 2004, 09:17:34 AM »
Hello,
Yesterday I received a brand new computer.
I plugged it into internet after installing alcatel speedtouch software. Computer has windows XP home.
I enjoyed lightning speed of browsing for about 5 min when a message popped up explaining me that windows will shut down.
I checked task manager and discovered "Isass.exe" appear there.  There were some more I did not see there before.

Basically it is pain in the neck.

Any suggestions how to avoid that in the future?
Could changing ISP help in any way?
I am with Pipex at the moment.

Thanks

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: My new PC infected after 5min on net...how?
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 10:07:09 AM »
    Everyone on the Internet can get infected... you just got unlucky. Get a virus scanner and firewall pronto.

Free firewall
    http://www.zonelabs.com

Free virus scanner
    http://www.grisoft.com

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 10:14:38 AM »
    Take the necessary precautions before connecting your computer to the Internet.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 02:34:21 PM »
      laptop......I will never understand ....why with all the publicity and warnings about viruses that anyone would go on - line without a good working updated anti-virus program and a good firewall. you can get infected so fast ........ I hope you now have Anti-virus software installed and have removed the viruses that you had .
      I also hope you learned just how fast it can happen and spread the word about the importance of a Anti - Virus program.

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 02:58:31 PM »
      When I put a system together for someone, one of the first things I do on the Web after setting up the eMail account and connection settings is go to www.pandasoftware.com or www.grisoft.com and get an antivirus utility installed and set, then updated. Then I'll cruise to www.sygate.com or www.zonelabs.com and find a firewall. If the new owner has bought or specifies another antivirus or firewall package, I'll use that.

Then we make browser choices (IE with or without Maxthon/Avant, Opera, Firefox, Netscape).

Firewalls and antivirus are mandatory if you use IE (any version) and/or are on broadband (ISDN, DSL, videocable, satellite). Antivirus is mandatory and firewall is recommended if you use W3C browsers (Firefox, Opera) or Netscape on dialup.

Spyware scanners should be run periodically (AdAware, SpybotS&D) and can be set resident. Never set more than one of each (antivirus, antispyware, and software firewall) resident, the programs will contend and hog resources.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 05:46:24 PM »
      watchout for the blaster virus sounds like you have it.....load antivirus software  before going on the ...even the activation rubbish of winxp..or anything else net related.. the pipex isp i wish you luck with them as the customer services may just as well moved to bangalore..as i have tried to contact them for months email/phone...no reponse at all...and when they accuse you of port scanning...thats out of order...did you move from tiscali?....what  the virus does>http://www.tech-forums.net/history/topic/21021-1.html
      « Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 05:52:27 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:02:25 PM »
      Afetr 5 minutes! Wow that SUCKS!!!! Well, I feel for ya man. But, just know that you can get a virus/worm at any time while on the net. The fact is, you'll never know WHERE a visrus or worm is waiting for you. Take the free virus scan and firewall, and be more careful. (Another good firewall is the one that Windows XP service pack 2 provides)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

2k dummy

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 07:33:05 PM »
      (Another good firewall is the one that Windows XP service pack 2 provides)

Have to disagree on this one. The firewall in SP2 is better than nothing at all, but is totally inadequate. With ZA, Sygate, Kerio or other good firewall, even if they get breached by a trojan, they can block the outgoing traffic from it. Not so with XP's built in firewall. It absolutely lacks this ability. If security is important, don't depend on anything in Windows to provide it. Even the update to IE is nothing more than a patch to change the default action of certain IE features. If it doesn't work like the user expects and they reset the defaults - guess what - they're right back to square one with all the security holes.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 07:37:18 PM »
      I am aware of that, and agree. However my point was to suggest a free firwall that at least does SOMETHING.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 01:13:18 AM »
      I am aware of that, and agree. However my point was to suggest a free firwall that at least does SOMETHING.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

You must think  very lightly of security, then.

Joleen

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 05:51:35 AM »
      watchout for the blaster virus sounds like you have it

My first thought was this was Sasser.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 08:46:13 AM »
      Raptor man, all I mean is that somethin is better than nothing. You should agree with that, especialy if you know everything. COme on. Even I know that the SP2 firewall is not even close to being good, but it helps a LITTLE.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 09:52:12 AM »
        (Another good firewall is the one that Windows XP service pack 2 provides)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 11:03:11 AM »
        Well, actually Raptor and evertone is right, Windows SP2 firewall is nt great, but is IS better than nothing. I think we can all agree on that.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 11:42:22 AM »
        There's no such thing as 'better than nothing' in my book when it comes to safe guarding my personal information on a device that could be accessed by anyone.
        « Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 11:43:57 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 03:25:46 PM »
        extended virus warning how nice of them five  mins...you may be correct joleen and are nudge 8)....the M$blaster worm gives you only thirty seconds ;D