Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: formatting and Win95 reinstall problem  (Read 2912 times)

froggy

formatting and Win95 reinstall problem
« on: April 10, 2004, 04:13:46 PM »
It's been a while since I have had to format a hardisk and re-install Win95, but a friend of mine had to do it and I've been trying to help him to get it working. A few snags are encountered.

The problem.

An installation disk was created in Win95 before reformatting the hard disk. Alas, a few things don't seem to work out.

The one thing we are stuck on right now is to get the CD-ROM to be recognized so that Win95 can be installed.

There are currently no autoexec.bat or config.sys files. Do we need to create these first? If so, what needs to be in them as a bare minimum?

Secondly, we don't have a driver for the CD-ROM, but have picked up the generic one off this site, oakcdrom.sys. Where do we put it? Onto the installation floppy that we boot from ? Or onto the harddrive.

The hard drive is not currently in existence since we formatted it without the /s. Shall we reformat it again but with the /s so that we can copy the oakcdrom.sys and the autoexec.bat and config.sys onto it?

Advice much appreciated.

Detox

Re: formatting and Win95 reinstall problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 01:02:01 AM »
Try checking out this posting ... http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1081213683;start=1#1  The steps  listed are basically the same for 95 as with most windows versions I hope it helps.  Let us know any updates.

yaddayadda

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 12:57:37 PM »
The cd drive should be found once the boot up disk has been put in, it then copies files over to the hard drive. I have done this operation myself not that long ago. The cd drive shouldnt need any drivers installed either, until you install the OS.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 12:01:40 PM »
go into the bios del key and change the boot sequence to cdrom?