Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: two router net work  (Read 3790 times)

oldskool

two router net work
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:18:29 PM »
I am trying to set up a home networkI can do it with 1 router no problem but I have 2 routers before i get to my pc I have a lyksys wireless/wired as my main router coming off my cable modem it goes to the downstairs computer and upstairs to my room I am the geek of the house so I have it going to another router that is also my vonage phone /router from that router I run ethernet to my rig and one for the computer i am working on and that router is also my telephone. now I have dual gigabit ethernet on my mobo can I also use this as a hub?in which case i would run the first router directy into my computer then run a cable out and put the second router on that?. are ya confused yet? if not can you tell me what I need to do in order to do or how i set up a network going thru 2 routers?

thx

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: two router net work
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »
    No, you can not use dual gigabit ethernet as a hub. You can use 2 network cards in a computer and make from that computer a router, but you can't make it a hub/switch  - computer network cards need IP's in order to function (to fulfill their goal). Network cards are not repeaters (or at least I didn't heard of - we are talking about ethernet and not Token Ring or another technology).
    What models are your routers? Are they "home routers" (1 wan port, 4 or more lan ports)?
    If I am confused? By your stile, not by your demands :)

oldskool

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:04:10 PM »
    I have 2 linksys home routers 1 is a rtp300 router with phone ports, and the other is a linksys wireless/wired home router no sure of the # off hand but it is just a  4 port router. how complecated is it going to be to run a network going thru 2 routers?

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 04:32:35 AM »
      I have 2 linksys home routers 1 is a rtp300 router with phone ports, and the other is a linksys wireless/wired home router no sure of the # off hand but it is just a  4 port router. how complecated is it going to be to run a network going thru 2 routers?

Your last post sais everything. What do you want to do with your network? Do you need 2 routers? What data do you want/need to transfer between computers connected to separate routers? HOW do you want to transfer data? Do you know to set-up a network comprising a few routers or do you want to learn? It is not difficult, but I won't explain it here, please take a book.
      Sorry, but you are asking a tutorial and not an advice.
      My advice? If you have so many computers at home, why don't you use a switch? But you know better, this is my far-away opinion, not based on real facts but on assumptions.