Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NIC or Not?  (Read 4268 times)

narfunk

NIC or Not?
« on: September 05, 2007, 09:34:56 AM »
I'm trying to get the most out of my laptop for online gaming.  I've read that having a stand alone card as opposed to an onboard makes a big difference. 

Toshiba Satelite m55 s3262 psm50u-02q01k
1.86ghz
80gb
marvell yukon 88e8036 fast ethernet controller

My internet's from a 100mbs satellite lan w/24 port switch

First, will buying the add-on card have any effect at all?

I've found a 32bit type 2 card that's compatable at sparepartswarehouse.  Does this mean that any 32bit type 2 card will do?

If a card will make a difference, what do I look for when shopping as far as what will produce the best performance?  Brand, cost?  Factory direct?

Thanks

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: NIC or Not?
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:44:30 AM »
    Nope.
    Not unless you get a NIC specifically designed for offloading all networking tasks from the CPU like this. But their products wont fit in a laptop.
    Besides from the reviews I've seen, the performance increase with those NICs isn't major.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

narfunk

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:09:03 PM »
    Is there anything that you would recommend that would cause a significant change?  Laptop wise or satellite lan wise?

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:48:25 PM »
      Well I've heard that satellite connections can equal higher latency. So if that is the problem the best solution would be to get a dsl or cable connection instead... but of course that isn't always possible. How much RAM do you have installed in it?

narfunk

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 06:02:01 PM »
      Yeah, satellite's my only option.  I'm sort of in the desert. 

512...I actually have a pretty decent laptop on the way, but it's taking longer than expected.  I'm sure it will run better, but I'm looking into everything I can.

By the way, thanks for the responses.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:25:51 AM »
        Upgrading to 1 GB ram or more should help performance... but if you've got a better laptop on the way I wouldn't spend money on a ram upgrade for the old one.

viking

Adviser
        • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
          « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:26:52 AM »
          A network card rated at 10 Mbps is more than your internet network connection transfer rate. Although you may have a better transfer rate, a greater bandwidth. But, if we are talking about network cards rated at 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) than it is far too much for an internet network connection, your bandwidth assured by your ISP is surely lower thant 100 Mbps.

Your network card does not affect your internet transfer rate unless it's broken. Do you have a guaranteed transfer rate of 44 Mbps? Guaranteed by your ISP that means.

Do you want a better "network gaming machine"? Than, options are simple (and unfortunately a laptop is not easy or cheap to be upgraded): RAM, videocard, processor, motherboard. The discussion could be expanded, but you did not ask for those "outsights". I hope I helped you with the comparison between wan transfer rates and lan transfer rates (wan = internet, lan = a local area network, "hidden" by a router). From my point of view, the network card does not make a difference. Unless it's broken.
          « Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:39:48 AM by viking »

narfunk

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »
          Ok, thanks for the answers.  Just didn't want to waste money on something that wouldn't help out.  This can be closed.

Thank you