Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista reboots on shutdown  (Read 5019 times)

pwing

Vista reboots on shutdown
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:35:33 PM »
Hello.  My computer is a new HP M8000N which came with Vista.  It has 3G RAM.  For about the last week, it will not shutdown unless I hold the off button.  I haven't used this computer much, as I want to transfer some programs first.  I have no external peripherals hooked up.  I've only installed 2 programs, and it worked fine AFTER I installed them both for a time.  I've tried safe mode, but it makes no difference.  HP hasn't responded to my requests for help, and I can find nothing on the MSFT site.  It came with Norton, and I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled.  I've also tried 2 different restore points that were made at a time it shut down properly with no luck.  I've also changed it to no reboot after an error, and no wakeup through the network card, but that doesn't work either.  This is really frustrating.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?  I've surprised there is almost no information on this problem on the net.  I've googled with no luck - I've even read most of the XP posts on this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Phil

Pari

Re: Vista reboots on shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »
Hi,
I had similar problem I guess. I use same notebook with Vista.  I did some chanddges on setting according to instruction given in the page of following link.
It might work for you......

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/change-the-windows-vista-power-buttons-to-shut-down/

Good Luck!

pwing

Re: Vista reboots on shutdown
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »
Thanks for responding.  As you can see, there haven't been many! 

Mine is a desktop, and I have played with the power settings with no luck.  However, it has since started to work okay.  I changed NOTHING to make this happen.  The only changes to the computer were whatever updates Norton downloaded PLUS the MSFT Vista updates.  Since I previously completely removed Norton using their removal program, I'm betting it was a Vista update that fixed it.  Still, I don't understand why there was nothing on the MSFT site for Vista.  (At least when I checked.)  Maybe this is MSFT's usual ignoring, or denial, of real problems that others find.

Thanks again for responding.