Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Switching Hard Drives  (Read 2392 times)

CompBoy09

Switching Hard Drives
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:36:52 AM »
My other computer that doesnt work has a hdd that won't boot,and gives me hal.dll is missing or corrupted message.I would like to switch hard drives from the computer I have now to the one that has the better accessories(Video Card,Ram,processor)

I attempted to do this before,but when the hard drive I attempted to put into the newer computer booted up,it said there was a problem with windows,I pressed "start windows normally",then after that,the system just reboots again.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Switching Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »

CompBoy09

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »
That topic was for when I wanted to buy an external hard drive to boot my newer computer since the hard drive that came with it did not work.In this one I was thinking maybe I could switch hard drives from this one(The old one) to the newer one.Then I could just use the hard drive that doesn't work as a secondary slave hard drive.

Note,even though the hard drive doesnt work it still has all files in it.Technically it works but just doesnt boot.

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:54:31 AM »
    So your question is how to avoid this?
    I attempted to do this before,but when the hard drive I attempted to put into the newer computer booted up,it said there was a problem with windows,I pressed "start windows normally",then after that,the system just reboots again.

Did you reinstall windows after the swap? If you didn't this is the reason you're having problems. Windows isn't designed to handle a huge hardware change like that.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:59:34 AM »
    I was thinking maybe I could switch hard drives from this one(The old one) to the newer one.Then I could just use the hard drive that doesn't work as a secondary slave hard drive.

Note,even though the hard drive doesnt work it still has all files in it.Technically it works but just doesnt boot.
    Yes, if the drive is, in fact, working, you could install it as a slave drive.