Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LAN line showing up on modem with one computer, but not the other?  (Read 11822 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Re: LAN line showing up on modem with one computer, but not the other?
    « Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 01:23:35 PM »
    Ok, update;
    The LAN line now shows up when i connect it to the computer, it actually wasn't the computer's fault, it was a cord thing. When i plug the ethernet cord in, the port lights up as well, so i know there's at least power getting to it. I re-installed windows and installed the proper drivers, but it still isn't working. Here are some screen shots from what aida32 found for devices. I don't know if it'll help with anything, but take a look.

[Saving disk space - attachment deleted by admin]

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 04:30:36 AM »
      "cord thing" - you changed the cable? If not, maybe you should try. I see you have an Realtek 8139 inside. Also I see a question mark in your images. Is something not installed?

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 05:32:02 AM »
        Ok so that was the network adapter, it doesn't show up in device manager though, and doesn't seem to be getting the propper drivers installed.
        The question mark was because at that point i hadn't installed the sound driver, i didn't figure it'd affect trying to install the internet.
        Then the cord thing was a little more than a bad cord. For some reason there's only one cord in my house that will allow me to connect directly from the modem to the computer, and that goes for all of the computers in my house. All the other cords still let me connect from my router to the computer though, i have no idea why. I also can't install internet through the router on any of my computers though. So once i connected that one cord the LAN line lit up.

viking

Adviser
          « Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 06:38:46 AM »
          You may try with generic Realtek drivers (that should include your network card - see in the driver description before you download it).

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »
            I downloaded from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
            I believe that's the right place, it didn't work though, unfortunatly

viking

Adviser
              « Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 01:38:03 AM »
              I'm out of ideas :(

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 05:04:40 AM »
                hmm, well even though there's power getting to the ethernet card it could still not work, right?
                so perhaps i just need a new one. I'm having a second problem with my computer that i'm trying to fix, so i won't buy one until after i know if the other problem is fixable, but would something like this http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270169669678&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017 or this http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150164449578&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005 work? just something really cheap?

And if anybody else has any ideas i'd still like to hear them