Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to deactivate beep noise?  (Read 17390 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: how to deactivate beep noise?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »
To be honest the longer i think about this the less sense it makes for a few reasons...
 Very few if any newer programs enable the MBoard speaker for any prompt noise at all...

Secondly if as you stated all Windows sounds were disabled then it shouldn't happen there either...

I think i'll just pass on this one for now.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »
    Very few if any newer programs enable the MBoard speaker for any prompt noise at all
    I didnt say enable... that would make no sense. But Disable with some kind of code the input for sounds to occur. I dont know if thats possible, thats why I asked.

And yes, I disabled all Windows sounds in XP and it still occurs.... you surely know about the beeping noises that occur in XP (didnt use to happen in Windows 2000) that are very annoying ...?

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 01:11:27 AM »
      To be honest the longer i think about this the less sense it makes for a few reasons...
      What other reasons are there then, because I did deselect the sound references (take the speaker symbol out) from  the control panel - sounds and audio section.

Coming back to the Hardware Devices, these are the only drivers left in the "sounds and audio" section that I can deinstall:

LITEON CD-ROM LTN4865     Type: DVD/CD-ROM (of course I'll leave this)
      Audiocodecs                       Type: Audio-, Video- and Gamecontroller
      Legacy-audio driver             Type: Audio-, Video- and Gamecontroller           
      Media control device            Type: Audio-, Video- and Gamecontroller
      Legacy-Videorecorddevice    Type: Audio-, Video- and Gamecontroller
      Videocodecs                       Type: Audio-, Video- and Gamecontroller

In my point of view, only the Audiocodecs, Legacy-audio driver and media control device could be removed to try and stop the beep noise... or just the first two?

I doubt whether this will actually cut off the bugging beep noise alltogether though  :(

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 03:08:31 AM »
        I have just realised that on another computer which I upgraded to XP Pro has the same problem!

When a warning or notification window pops up (in any program) there is a frustrating beep noise coming from inside the computer. Luckily on the 2nd PC it isnt as loud as on the first one.

I deselected all the speaker icons unter Windows "sounds and audio" but the beeping still occurs !

How do I get rid of all these unwanted sounds within windows xp??? Maybe the next step is to deinstall some hardware drivers in the "sounds and audio" last tab?

Spero-T

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 03:22:47 AM »
        Perhaps you can physically remove the speaker from inside the machine look below the bios battery it will say on them pwr,,,,reset,,,,these are for the buttons on the front of the case then there's led hdd and sometimes led pwr +led reset and next to 1 of these should be sound looks like a jumper cable for a hdd but with 2 wee wires coming from it...

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 03:49:44 AM »
        Hey there, Just wondering, is there a PC Speaker slider on your mixer? (The thing with the volume controls) On most chip sets there are only actually about 1/2 displayed here by default, checkthis by clicking options, then preferences in the mixer, then make sure PC-Speaker is ticked to be included, then when it is it view, click mute :) I also know a few Chipsets (AC97' mostly) re-route the output to the pc speaker f it detects no speakers/headphones in the computer, but try the other idea first :)

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 04:41:38 AM »
          @ Spero-T
          The problem is the pc is second hand and I cannot open the case to access the motherboard (key missing)

@ Kurtiskain
          I cant see any mixer in the "sounds and audio" section, only a volume slider that is deactivated. I see that there is a 'deactivate tone' box on the main tab, so if I could somehow do a dud speaker installation then the volume bar would become accessable and I could deactivate it by ticking the box  ???

Seeing as there is no audio or mixer symbol in the task bar, I went to "Programs - Accessories - Volume" and the following error message came up:
          Code: [Select]
          Volume settings
          There are no active mixers available. Click on the Control Panel on "printers and other hardware", then "Hardware" to install a mixer
          I dont have a 'printers and hardware' icon, only 'printers and fax devices'. So I went in the Hardware-assistant and it is asking me what I want to install with a list of installed devices, because the assistant didnt find any problems. There are no mixers listed.  On the list, there is Standardvolume, Media Control device, Audiocodes, Legacy audio drivers and more. At the end I can install extra hardware if required.

So should I install anything in the Hardware section even if the assistant hasnt found any hardware problems? Also how do I install the mixer (if necessary)

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 04:51:08 AM »
            I also know a few Chipsets (AC97' mostly) re-route the output to the pc speaker f it detects no speakers/headphones in the computer, but try the other idea first :)
            Yeah I think this is the cause....  ;)

Spero-T

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 05:05:04 AM »
            This may not be an option for you but

I would imagine that the lock locks something like this?

If you place a screw driver where the key would go, grab your hammer anf with reasonable force hammer the screw driver into the lock then twist and it should open as if it was the key, this is called popping the lock...

Below is also anther way to pop the lock....

Look below example
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXtwUzWfPc

As i said not sure if this is an option for you but it might help ! :D

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »
              yeah that might just be the last resort... thanks.
              But I'll see first if Kurtiskain has a more delicate solution ;)

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 02:37:49 PM »
                Perhaps you need to get your sound all up and working properly, drivers installed etc, to then be able to turn off the sounds you don't want to hear from your Control Panel or do as I do and turn the volume knob down to zero.
                Did you ever try the above?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
                Ahh I know what it is now :)
                Perhaps you need to get your sound all up and working properly, drivers installed etc, to then be able to turn off the sounds you don't want to hear from your Control Panel or do as I do and turn the volume knob down to zero.
                Did you ever try the above?

That is 1/2 right. I lost ALL my data in a storm last night, and upon reformatting (Corrupted to oblivion drives) found I had no Sound drivers at all, and every error or question that popped up made a PC-Speaker Beep noise. All you have to do is install your sound Chipset drivers and it will disappear :) The only program I can think of right now to tell you of your chipset is Sandra, http://programurl.com/software-sandra-standard-downloadnow.html, Anybody else have any ideas?

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
                • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                  « Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 05:01:05 AM »
                  *censored*... what a coincidence  ::)
                  Hope you can get it back to normal again? Glad you had a full backup  ;D

I checked in the well-known Sandra application but couldnt find a direct Chipset field. But I suppose it is in the "CPU + BIOS Information" section, so there it says that the BIOS is IBM T6E116A - is that the chipset?

Also on the performance tips (Tip T201) it mentions that the System Bios is old and should check for an update. How do I do this, through IBM website? I dont think Windows Update is advanced enough to do this....

What is the next step?

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                    « Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 10:01:43 AM »
                    @Kurtiskain

I think we are nearly there.... can you tell me more about the chipset please?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 03:40:38 AM »
                    Hey there sorry have had bad comp troubles past few days...Done some research...You have a:
                    Intellistation M Pro??

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/intellistation/pro/mpro/specs.html

If it is we have struck gold! (Well, almost)

All we need is the model number to get the drivers from the IBM website :)
                    Although I am on it now, Will update if anything is found :)

Update:

Found a huge load of Software + Drivers for the machine, but we need the model number first :)

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/mainselect?familyind=5050007&typeind=0&osind=5053379&continue.x=11&continue.y=14&brandind=5000004&oldfamily=5050007

This set MAY work so try this if you cannot find your definite model number, as the BIOS number you gave us was for these 2 similar models only:
                    Supported systems:
                    - IBM IntelliStationM Pro (Type 6220, 6230) Version 1.16 - T6E116A

These are links to the drivers for this model, and I recommend installing the Audio (this fixes your problem), the Video, and Chip Set drivers. (The download links are just under the dates)

So here are your Items you want to install:
                     Audio device driver for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP                     28 Aug 2003  http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-52788&brandind=5000004

NVIDIA video device drivers for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP       18 Aug 2004   http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-56605&brandind=5000004

Chip Set
                    Intel Chip Set INF driver      02 Sep 2003
                    http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-52835&brandind=5000004

There :) just remember if your model number does not match either of these: 6220 or 6230, Do NOT use these drivers, But post back the Model number you do have and I'll get new links for you :)

Kurtis
                    « Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 04:11:43 AM by Kurtiskain »