Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows automatic updates will not install  (Read 41234 times)

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    Re: Windows automatic updates will not install
    « Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 11:15:08 PM »
    what updates were these?

mektek

Hopeful
    • Witty comment to be advised
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:18 AM »
      Whose second method worked ?

If it was mine then it points to there being a problem with a corrupted update file.

Tomshopes post looks like being the fix for that.
      Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
      A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »
        I thought that it worked but when I installed them, after doing all f the above methods, it still did not work. I tried the entire methods one at a time to see if it worked but it did not. The updates that are trying to install are updates for XP, security updates, IE 7 updates and updates for WMP 11, all 81 of them.

mektek

Hopeful
          « Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 08:08:26 AM »
          If you tried mine and tomhopes methods them i'm all out of ideas here.

If you still have your two free assists from MS then i would try insisting on them and see what they can pull from the hat.

Or someone who has encountered this problem and knows the answer may see the thread and post.

The Saviour

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »
          You need to understand that the XP CD you have is good for only one computer...

If it is used to install the same OS on a different computer, you're going to have a validation problem...especially if you go to do a re-installation. You'll be prompted to contact Microsoft for a product ID and if it is already registered on another computer...well...you're just SOL.

You've already stated that you have contacted Microsoft and they told you to purchase the License.

This is probably the cause of all your headaches becuase Windows cannot be validated...and if it can't be validated, you're not going to be able to download and install any of your updates...

mektek

Hopeful
            « Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 08:20:48 AM »
            Saviour - I read that as they were trying to charge him for assistance not a licence.

If that's the case he only has 50 days less the time has been installed before XP expires.

Skykaptain - are you getting daily prompts to register your XP?

If it is a genuine copy that is unauthenticated contact MS with proof and insist on your authentication codes.

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 08:24:44 AM »
              I reinstalled it onto the same computer. I have XP Home and I have installed it onto four different computers and nothing has ever happened. When I reinstalled Pro I did not register because I thought I did not need to. Should I reinstall it again and register this time? Sa for the two free assists from Microsoft they say I should contact my system administrator which is weird because this is my home computer. I am on a college campus right not and I am using their internet so maybe that is why and if that is the case should I go to the tech support people here?

I am not getting daily prompts to register. It is a genuine copy of XP, I bought it OEM from tigerdirst.com (with sticker that they said to put onto the side of my computer). When I reinstalled it, it was a repair install

mektek

Hopeful
                « Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:08 AM »
                I have XP Home and I have installed it onto four different computers and nothing has ever happened.

It is only legal to install on one computer and the same goes for your copy of XP pro

I am not a MS security expert but i believe if you have installed updates on the computer then it will have left a record with MS at that time.

They probably have records of multiple installs of the same updates from the one product number for your XP pro hence their request for money from you.

I have reinstalled XP pro to the same computer after a HDD failure - i told them it was this and they issued a new auth code. If it was only your second install i cannot see why they haven't given you new codes? They normally give a second install as standard.

Phone them again and ask why they wont give them.
                « Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:48:34 AM by mektek »

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »
                  As for Home I never registered it under my name for address, I registered it under my mom’s name since it was her computer and for the other three computer they were all my friends computers. So for Microsoft, they should see one copy of XP on four different computer registered to four different people at four different times (over one year). The only thing that connects me to that copy of XP is the fact that when I ordered it, it came to the same house.

mektek

Hopeful
                    « Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 08:43:36 AM »
                    They have records of two installs from your XP pro. They should give a second auth code. without too much trouble.

If it is genuine and you have paid for it you are letting MS steal it from you. Phone them and insist upon your rights or a reason why not.

spiderlucci

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 01:50:26 AM »
                    Windows update is actually a component of internet explorer, so damaged IE installation may keep windows update from working. Other causes for windows update's failing to work are covered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 193385.Look up the step-by-step instructions for fixing a sick window update at http://support.microsoft.com

if you can't connect to this website because your browser's broken, open the Add/remove programs icon in control panel, select internet explorer from the list of programs, and click add /remove. you can uninstall or repair IE with this option.

this may fix the problem... but  I'm not sure..... I have fix PCs' in the past.... when they had problems with windows updates all to gether... it couldn't hurt.

goodLuck :) spider

seanbond

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 04:32:27 AM »
                      this happend to me when i swaped mothrbords and reinstalled
                      just give i a couple of weeks it goes away

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
                        I think it is solved. I was on Microsoft’s website looking at their support topics and found out that for windows updates it is free to send them an email. I sent them one saying what my problem was and how I could not send them one before. I tried two of their ideas, which was to reinstall windows installer 3.1, (the other time id did not work) and now it seems to work. I still have to pay for any more help from Microsoft, if anyone knows the number of where I should call then that would be appreciated. I know that is not the topic of this thread so I do not expect an answer.

The Saviour

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »
                        As for Home I never registered it under my name for address, I registered it under my mom’s name since it was her computer and for the other three computer they were all my friends computers. So for Microsoft, they should see one copy of XP on four different computer registered to four different people at four different times (over one year). The only thing that connects me to that copy of XP is the fact that when I ordered it, it came to the same house.

How does this fit in to "one copy of Windows per computer"????