Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer crashed need help  (Read 4325 times)

gatorfan992001

computer crashed need help
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:34:05 AM »
I use Vista Operating system and when I woke up this morning the computer crashed.  What I would like to try to do is recover some or all the files I had saved on the computer.  I do have a dos prompt.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: computer crashed need help
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:56:39 AM »
    More information is needed.
    What do you mean when you say crashed?
    Post any error messages you're getting.
    What happened up to the crash?
    Have you tried restarting it?
    More information on the computer in question would also be good.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »
      I use Vista Operating system and when I woke up this morning the computer crashed.  What I would like to try to do is recover some or all the files I had saved on the computer.  I do have a dos prompt.

Lol...there's the probable cause right there.   ;)  But like deerpark said, more info is needed to properly diagnose this problem.

gatorfan992001

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 03:40:50 AM »
      Well All I know is that I turned off the computer the night before.  Then the next morning I turned it on and it was making a noise that I never heard before.  So I restarted it half way into loading and then it acted like it was the first time it was turned on.  The computer is a everex impact. 

The Saviour

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 03:48:54 AM »
      Is this computer under warranty?

gatorfan992001

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 06:28:11 PM »
      its probably not.  We bought it at walmart.  The computer is working fine since I bought it.  I would just like to try to bring up some documents that isn't on here anymore.  I'm hoping I can do it in Dos or search with a specific title.  I've tried the names of the files and temp but no luck. 

The Saviour

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »
      If the files were deleted and sent to the Recycle Bin and deleted from there as well...there still may be the opportumity of recovery...

Sometimes you'll be able to recover these files if the space they occupied on the hard drive hasn't been overwritten.

I use a program called File Recover.  That link is to my site, but you can also visit PC Tools, vendor of the software I just mentioned.

gatorfan992001

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 08:25:23 AM »
      Ok.  I downloaded the file recovery program and it found quite a bit but didn't recover anything so what does that mean?

The Saviour

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:13:58 PM »
      The links I provided you for File Recover by PC Tools is trialware...you'll need to pay for the software in order to utilize the recovery option for this software.

But back to the original problem...when you used the File Recover software...did it find the files you were looking for?  If it did...and they are still there...then paying for the software may be the way to go in order to recover your lost files.

Someone else, however, may be able to find a free software program that will accomplish the same type of data recovery you're looking for.

Good luck!

gatorfan992001

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 04:18:51 AM »
      Just a update.  When I ran that program and restarted my computer.  I started to do searches on some of the documents that was missing and they showed up so I have the basic documents that I need.  thankyou.

Problem Solved. 

The Saviour

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 08:00:49 AM »
      Glad to hear it all worked out...