Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd drive icon 2  (Read 2931 times)

yaddayadda

Cd drive icon 2
« on: April 11, 2004, 12:46:41 PM »
I thought i'd re-post this in case anyone wasnt looking at my first post because it already had replies to it, wishful thinking i know. Also it might annoy people.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the icon of the cd drive, and rename it, because on my computer the name and icon are currently wrong. At the moment the icon is of a smart media card which comes from my card reader, and the name is Smart Media (E:). In My Computer there appear to be 2 smart media removable drives, one of them being the cd drive and the actual smart media drive. It still works just as normal, but its still annoying. This happened when i installed a new cd drive in my computer, after installing an internal card reader in the spare floppy drive bay. The OS is XP. If the icon or the name can't be changed, is there a way of reseting it to the correct name and icon? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

It doesn't let you rename it in the normal fashion, and it doesn't let you change the icon in normal fashion either. I did find a way that invovled going into the registry, but i tried it and found the instructions to be, at least in my case, wrong.

Doomsday_J

Re: Cd drive icon 2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 03:56:56 PM »
There is a program out there called michealangelo, Its a Icon maker, that will allow you to change icons. I am not sure exactly where you can find it. Try a google search.

merlin

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 02:12:52 PM »

yaddayadda

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 10:07:52 AM »
I found out how to change the icon and name myself in the end, although i managed to change the name, i can't change the icon as i do not know where the default is stored yet. The way to do it was to go into the registry editor (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ DriveIcons\ X\ DefaultIcon). For some reason only one drive was listed there, thats why i dont know where the icon is. Hopefully i should find it soon.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 10:08:33 AM by yaddayadda »