Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: restarting  (Read 3041 times)

shell26

restarting
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:29:06 AM »
Hi, I finally got round to having a new pc built for me. Running winxp, sp2, avg av & antispy, with zone alarm fw.
Problem is, it keeps restarting itself. This can happen at any time. My friend had the pc for a couple of days to have a look at it but it worked fine then. He brought it back today and it started happening again so we assumed it was the monitor causing it as i had no other devices attached (except keyboard and mouse). We changed the monitor and it was fine for a couple of hours. My daughter then tried to install a game from a cd and the pc restarted again in the middle of it. The only information that i can find in the error logs is this:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f7 (ox0000287f, 0x00002a7f, 0xffffd580, 0x00000000.)

Any ideas please?

Richenstony

Re: restarting
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:37:29 AM »
could be a memory issues?

Check for any conflicks with this program.... http://www.memtest86.com/

follow instructions , best way download the iso burn with power iso .... slow speed reboot with disc on your computer follow on screen instructions.

report back with any errors ... :D

Tony :)

deep

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »
    It could be the memory, or it could be a bad powersupply.  Also ditch Zone Alarm, it is crap and will cause you more headaches then needed.  Invest in a router, I prefer the D-link stuff and you wont need a software firewall.

shell26

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:24:24 AM »
    Mem test ok, no errors.   ???

deep

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »
      Actually if its restarting only when she installed the game I would say its the video card or the video card driver.  Try upgrading the driver.  Your vid card also may not support the game she is installing, it may be to weak or old.  What sort of video card is it? 

shell26

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:40:37 AM »
      NVIDIA Geforce 6100 nforce 405

deep

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
        Is it only doing it now with the game?  If it is then update the driver from Nvidia's website, its just a Gforce driver, also what version of DirectX are you running?  IF you dont know go to Start, run, type in DxDiag and then look.  I would assume for any current games you need DX9 or higher, but not all cards support DX10

shell26

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
        It doesnt just happen with the game. It  can happen when i am browsing the internet or when i try to open a program. It can happen any time. I have dx9 btw. 

shell26

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »
        I'm sure all drivers are ok. Going to double check tho. Will check for replies tomorrow.  :)
        Thanks for your help so far.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
        I think you are getting a bsod which you can't see because of the auto restart.  Disable auto restart to display the bsod and post the Stop code rather than the Bugcheck code.

Click Start Button
        On the Start Menu click Control Panel
        When the Control Panel window opens click on the System icon
        The system properties window opens
        Click the Advanced tab
        In the Advanced tab window locate the Start and Recovery section and click the Settings button
        When the settings window opens look for the System failure section
        Remove the check mark from the Automatically Restart option
        Click OK to Exit

Good luck
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

shell26

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 11:53:53 AM »
        Did as suggested. Computer gone crazy now. Keep getting blue screens of death.

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

stop: 0x00000050 (0xB962BD0c, 0x00000001, 0x00000001, 0x805A4E6c, 0x00000000)

And then i had this one:

stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xBF837575, 0xB9C95700, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys-address BF837575 base at BF800000 datestamp 4467a55c

I then booted into safe mode to see if i could find anything. Couldn't see anything in error logs. When i restarted in normal mode, my desktop launched and i had the following messages in little dialogue boxes.

The system has recovered from a serious error. 

BCC code: 1000008e BCPI: C0000005  BCP2: BF837575  BCP3: B9C95700 BCP4: 00000000 Osver: 5_1_2600   sp2_0 product 256-1

shell26

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 12:02:51 PM »
        screen is also blinking a bit now.    >:(

shell26

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 04:01:39 PM »
        Got another bsod,
        IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

:'(        :'(            :'(

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 06:33:46 PM »
        Here are the stop code definitions:

Stop code 50:
        The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Possible Resolutions:

• If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.

Stop code 8E:
        Translation: This rare (and random) error can occur when a program references an incorrect memory address, causing your computer to crash.

Solution: Microsoft has released a hotfix, which you can install and run to fix the problem. You'll need to call Microsoft technical support to obtain the hotfix, however. It's not available online (at least, not yet). If you only see the error occasionally, you might consider waiting for another service pack release for WinXP, although living with the error is probably counter-productive. For support options visit support.microsoft.com.

The good news is that if the tech support engineer determines that you do need the hotfix, you won't be charged for the call.

Good luck
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.