Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Putting a new OS on a laptop hard drive from a desktop  (Read 2801 times)

havfunonline

Putting a new OS on a laptop hard drive from a desktop
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:42:23 AM »
Having had windows nearly die on my pretty busted up laptop, I decided to delete windows and get linux, after I deleted windows I discovered that my CD Drive is broken MAJOR BUMMER.  However I now have a connector to go into a regular hard drive slot on a PC, and all I have to do is plug it in (easy) and then put a new OS on it.

One problem, I have no idea how.  Help Please!

Thanks in advance

kbm292

Intermediate

Re: Putting a new OS on a laptop hard drive from a desktop
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:56:41 AM »
    Ok so if I'm understanding this correctly you have used a connector to connect your laptops hard drive to your main PC's motherboard?  And now you want to install the version of Windows that's on your PC onto your laptop?

havfunonline

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:09:46 PM »
    No I want to install linux on that hard drive.  not sure its possible though...

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:33:28 PM »
      Do you have a Linux CD?  You will need one.  What you can do is just format the hard drive and then install Linux.  You don't need to have it connected to your desktop to do this.

havfunonline

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
      I do if my CD drive is broken.

M1CH431

Hopeful
      • DuffMan!!!
        « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 02:47:45 PM »
        Just plug in the harddrive have it set to master, it might not actually matter if its in master but you won't need your other hard drive anyways. Boot from the linux cd, and install. I suggest Ubuntu personally.

-Mike