Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick question: Should I just slap on the HSF or use thermal paste beforehand?  (Read 2580 times)

slugsbunny

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • packin' heat
    Just got a core2duo E4400 retail. The retail box came with the processor and the HSF. The part of the HSF that makes contact with the CPU looks like it has some preapplied paste in groove form(first time building a comp with an intel cpu). Should I still use the thermal paste I have on the cpu in addition to what's on the intel HSF or should I just put the hsf on the cpu in the motherboard and lock it without applying my own paste? Thanks in advance.

Richenstony

Heres me advice?

Do what you feel comfortable with ..... i personlly would use the thermal compound

gluck

GX44

Hopeful
    • Never Stood A Chance!
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    i personlly would use the thermal compound

Ditto, I'd shove some of the paste on as well.
    "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

slugsbunny

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • packin' heat
      ok I put the thermal paste I have on the face of the cpu and put the fan down soon after. I'm gonna continue building this system, thanks for the help guys.

Richenstony

Makes sure its done nice and flat...  http://www.overclockers.com/tips692/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      You should read the info that Intel shipped with the CPU...one or the other but both should NOT be used...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

deep

Beginner

You are to only use the paste if none was PRE APPLIED.  Malfunction and over heating will occur if you put the paste on after it was pre applied.  It will also void the warranty.