Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "to video card or not?"  (Read 2331 times)

willopix

"to video card or not?"
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »
I have an older computer (HP Athlon XP 2400GHz, 768Ram, on board video card NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 64MB allocated to video memory)  I am running windows xp and I do a lot of Photoshopping work.  No video work or gaming.  Would a Video graphics card be a wise upgrade or would I likely see very little difference?  I am still using a CRT (HP p1130 21inch monitor) ??? ??? ???

Jess607

Hopeful

Re: "to video card or not?"
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 05:21:14 AM »
    Upgrading the CPU would yield better results in Photoshop.

However,  in order to do that you would have to buy a whole new PC.
    So, for now, you could just buy a cheap graphics card, and see how even that will be far better than what you have right now.

I'll need to know what motherboard you have, in order to reccomend a suitable graphics card.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:44:01 AM »
    Mainly, do you have an AGP slot?

Chilly

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »
      I am guessing yes he probably does, if so you can upgrade to a Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT (Prices are pretty cheap) or if your a ATI person then a ATI Radeon X1300. Also you should consider upgrading your CPU, if it is a socket 939 then a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (Or anything higher) would be fine for your computer.