Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing New HD- During Format-BSOD  (Read 2188 times)

LarryPD

Installing New HD- During Format-BSOD
« on: September 22, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »
I have a 1.1GHz PC w/256Meg RAM, Phoenix Award BIOS. Though working, I need a bigger HD. I bought a 160GB EIDE at Best Buy yesterday. I have Windows 2000 Pro and a XP Home upgrade. I installed the new HD as the only drive. I boot up with the XP disk ... at a point, it askes me to put in my earlier version Windows. I take out the XP disk and put in the Win2K disk. Enter. It takes me to a screen that says to install XP, press Enter. The Win 2K disk was still in. I swapped the disks. I don't remember what happened (been through too much before I found this apparent great site. I decided to just start over and install Win 2K and when it was up and running, I'd do the XP upgrade thing. I got to the disk being formatted. It was around 30% done when I got the BSOD. Kmode ... something. I tried about 4 times to format this thing. Each time it did the same thing only at different percents ... once, 70 something percent. :(

I decided the drive was bad and took it back today. They had no more and gave me a 320GB EIDE for no extra cost. I thought that was very cool. I came home, installed the drive, put in Win2K disk, booted, followed on screen info ........ got to format. Cool. For about 55%. Then, same thing. :(  :(

The old drive, that still works but is old (4-5 years? Came with puter) is a 80GB.

I'm wondering, since I looked up some stuff online, if there is an issue with compatibility? I discovered online that ATA-1 came out in late 1994 and I think ATA-2, also known as EIDE, came out in .... I think 1997. Since this computer was new  around 2001 or 2, I am assuming the chip on the motherboard that says ATA really is ATA-2?

Help?

Thanks, Larry

davyburns

Re: Installing New HD- During Format-BSOD
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 04:13:55 AM »
The best way is to install the new HD as a second drive, using the HD manufacturers software. After thisHD is partitioned and formatted (or even before, in some cases) it will ask you if you want to use the new HD as your boot (or Primary) drive, or just use it as extra storage, click which one you want and the software should do the rest.
Davy

contrex

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 04:30:19 AM »
Sure would be helpful to see more than "kmode ... something" as an error message.  ::)

Pencil and paper?

Camera?

Those BSOD messages are there to be read!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:37:46 PM »
It would also be helpful to have some details about the computer. Instead of "a 1.1 GHz processor and a Phoenix BIOS" how about the actual computer or motherboard make and model. Do these versions of WIndows have Service Pack 2 integrated? I doubt it. How did you partition these large drives during setup?