Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wierd hdd problem  (Read 2399 times)

matt

wierd hdd problem
« on: September 26, 2007, 01:04:14 PM »
I have two hard drives, one is split nfts for XP and ext for linux, the other hard drive is fat32 which i use to share between the two OS's.

After my last reboot i got the "disk needs to be checked for consistency" (fat32 drive) message, which i normally skip... however i was too late getting to my keyboard to abort it and it started before i hit a key.

during the disk check there was some problem and a prompt to do something, but because i hit a key after the check started, it automatically agreed to the prompt and continued.

now when i look at the fat32 drive, the disk usage shows correctly but all of the files and folders are gone except for about 20 random files.  i have tried booting into linux but it now gets stuck at the fdsk check and i can't seem to ctrl-c or abort it.

Any ideas on how to get access to all of these files (doc xls pdf mp3 avi jpeg etc...)?

thanks!

linuxlover

Hopeful
  • That's not Data!
    Re: wierd hdd problem
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:48:22 PM »
    Try getting a ubuntu live cd and see if it'll detect your drive and mount it.
    System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1024MB DDR400
    GeForce 7600GS
    160GB SATA II
    500-watt PSU
    Techforumz.tk

matt

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:25:46 AM »
    i loaded up a knoppix cd, and it found and mounted the drive with no problem, but it only showed the same 20 or so files I can see on windows.

I also tried restoring windows to a previous date, but that didn't do anything either. 

I'm really stumped on this one because i'm not exactly sure what happened.  It is also weird that is just a collection of random files that were on the drive are showing up and that it shows the correct disk usage.

deep

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:33:50 PM »
      Edit for lack of rational content.

Deep you have been warned.

patio.
      « Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:24:31 PM by patio »