Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with laptop starting up and then shutting down (never fully turning on)  (Read 3713 times)

nesie727

Hello,
I am having problems with my laptop computer. It is a Toshiba Satellite A-105 with Windows XP Home. Every time I go to turn it on, the green lights come on showing me it is about to start and I can hear it, and then immediately the computer shuts down. The computer will then repeat process (about 5 times) of starting up and then a few seconds later shutting down (without me touching the power on button). I have checked the battery and the power source, and there is nothing wrong with either. Therefore, I think it has something to do with my computer itself. One thing to note: I recently added Netscape Navigator and had problems with the internet freezing on me while using Navigator. Then, my computer froze and I was unable to end the program (control + alt + delete), so I ended up having to power off the computer manually. I think this is the last time the computer worked normally, but I am not 100% sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated  :)!!!
Thank you very much!

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Just a random thing that may help...Approx how old is this laptop?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Welcome to the CH forums.

I think you have a hardware problem with either your ram or hdd.

Please test your ram using Memtest86 from here and run the hdd manufacturer's diagnostic program.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

nesie727

The computer is only 1 and 1/2 years old. I am not sure how I could run any tests since I can't turn it on to enter any discs.

soldier101983

hmmm maybe over heating can you take the keyboard of and aim a fan into it to see if that helps