Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows media play not appearing  (Read 2725 times)

overmind

Topic Starter

Beginner

Windows media play not appearing
    « on: October 02, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »
    Ok I am currently running windows vista ultimate and have been experiencing some problems when playing certain video and audio files where the sound is muted and muffled heavily. I have asked others and they recommend reinstalling windows media player. However I cannot find the media player in either the programs installed list or the upgrades list. Thus I am unable to remove the player, it does, however, function normally on other files and does exist on the system, it just seems not to notice it.
    How can I remove the player without damaging my system so that I can reinstall it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Windows media play not appearing
      « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:54:13 AM »
      overmind ........
      However I cannot find the media player in either the programs installed list or the upgrades list.
         We are talking about Windows Media Player 11 ....... is that correct?
      it does, however, function normally on other files and does exist on the system, it just seems not to notice it.
      Have you ever been able to play the media your having issues with ?
      Do you have the necessary codecs to play this media?

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:59:06 AM »
      have been experiencing some problems when playing certain video and audio files where the sound is muted and muffled heavily.
      this should be about codec, because not all of it played right?

overmind

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 04:22:17 AM »
        More infoL
        sorry for not saying earlier, yes this is media player 11
        In the past I was able to play the files without error, however more recently I have only been able to play the video component of the file. I have also been to the microsoft website and looked through their FAQ for media player 11 can cannot find any refences to its existance in places that I have already mentioned

Spero-T

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 05:30:59 AM »
        http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The above is the best media player out there, perhaps you could try this it will play any file and it will also by mean of elimination tell us if it is windows media player or your sound card speakers etc

overmind

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 06:20:36 AM »
          Ok, I have tried running the files using creatives media player, and they ran fine, I then tried again with media play and the problem appears to have cleared up on its own. This is odd as the problem has been occuring for a week at least with no change.
          However I still cannot see media playing in the installed programs list or the installed upgrades list.