Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard Disaster  (Read 2089 times)

tazz

Motherboard Disaster
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:04:53 AM »
The motherboard in my Dell died and the computer has no power. I've been told it's not worth replacing.

I have two hard drives installed in it. Drive "C" has Windows XP (SP2) and other important applications. Drive "F" has gigs of files on it. I do not have any backups of either. (lesson learned!)

I just ordered a new computer (with the same OS and the old) with one 320 gig hard drive. I desperately need to get all the contents from both of those drives onto the new one.

My question is ... Can I install these drives into my new computer and just copy over what files or apps I need over to the new hard drive?

Help!

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Motherboard Disaster
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 09:16:59 AM »
    Yes that shouldn't be a problem. You could also just install the hard drives in the new computer and use them for storage.

One thing though, You just can't copy over programs you had installed on the old computer to the new one. Your applications will have to be reinstalled one the new computer in order to function properly.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

tazz

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 09:55:40 AM »
    Thanks for the quick reply! I had a feeling I'd have to install all apps again. 

More questions ...

Since the primary drive "C" had Windows XP on it, if I install this drive into my new computer, won't it conflict with XP already installed on the new drive?

Is it possible to run the apps from the old hard drive once installed on the new computer without having to actually reinstall them on the new hard drive?

As you suggested, I would like to keep the bigger of the two drives for extra storage.

THANKS!

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »
      Since the primary drive "C" had Windows XP on it, if I install this drive into my new computer, won't it conflict with XP already installed on the new drive?
      No, just make sure you set the jumpers on the old hard drive to slave.
      Is it possible to run the apps from the old hard drive once installed on the new computer without having to actually reinstall them on the new hard drive?
      No, the apps needs to be reinstalled because during the install procedure most software write entires to the Windows registry. The registry on your new windows obviously doesn't have these entries.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
      If you don't want to open your new computer, play with jumpers, etc., you can buy USB Universal Drive Adapter.
      I bought one yesterday for $30.
      It's a box, which looks like external HD. You slip your old HD in, connect power, and data cable inside (provided), close the box, plug it in to a power source, connect to your new computer via USB cable (all provided), and your are ready to go.
      It'll show up in Windows Explorer as a new drive.