Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have a basic question  (Read 1645 times)

peter2004

I have a basic question
« on: October 07, 2007, 06:04:57 AM »
what is the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r ?  this is the reason i ask.
i have been puting my pictures on a dvd+r and i can view them find on my computer but none of my dvd players will recognise the disk.
am i using the wrong format disk or is there a problem with my cheap dvd players?
thank you in advance for your help.
peter

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: I have a basic question
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 06:13:47 AM »
    It basically two different formats.
    Today most standalone dvd players should be able to read both, but some might be a bit picky about the media they'll accept.
    But check the manual for the dvd player to make sure it supports dvd+r discs and also that it supports reading pictures from a dvd disc. I have heard of players that only supports reading mp3s or pictures from CDs.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

contrex

Re: I have a basic question
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 06:19:21 AM »
    DVD-R was the first DVD recordable format released in the market. It has broader playback compatibility than the "+" especially with much older players. DVD+R is the newer format developed by Philips and Sony with their DVD+RW Alliance. Introduced after the "-" format. Because the DVD-R format has been in use since 1997, it has had a five-year lead on DVD+R. As such, older or cheaper DVD players (up to 2004 vintage) are more likely to favour the DVD-R standard exclusively.

So you should stick to DVD-R disks and/or buy a newer higher-spec player.