Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win98 Not Recognizing USB Devices  (Read 3707 times)

BigMac

Win98 Not Recognizing USB Devices
« on: April 12, 2004, 05:10:36 PM »
New digital camera has prompted my first effort to use the 2 USB ports on my Win98, CTX SAK300, AMD K6-2 computer with Biostar M5ALA system board, Award Modular v4.51PG BIOS (5/27/98-ALADDIN5-2A5KKBODC-00) and ALi M1541 rev 4 Chipset.  Motherboard booklet showed USB controller disabled, which I changed to Enabled.  Still, as before, camera knows it is "connected to computer" and SD card reader LED lights up, but computer shows absolutely no sign of recognizing either an imaging devices or new disk drive.  I would really appreciate knowing how to get it to do so.  Thanks. ???

Doomsday_J

Re: Win98 Not Recognizing USB Devices
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 06:12:54 PM »
Is this a new build? Have you done something inside that may have loosened one of the USB cables from the Mobo?

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 06:22:36 AM »
Have you put on the USB drivers?  Is it just the camera you can't use or is it any USB device.  You should be able to find the drivers on the camera manufacturers website.

BigMac

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 06:30:20 AM »
No, it is far from a new build --- CTX built it in 1998; case has never been opened since then.  Might add that Device Manager in My Computer says that both ALi to USB Open Host Controller" and "USB Root Hub" are "working properly".  Thus the assumption that hardware is OK, but Win98 won't recognize????

BigMac

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 06:43:04 AM »
Joleen, I installed both the HP imaging software, including driver to treat camera as imaging device, and the driver which came with the card reader, which says each card slot should be recognized by computer as a new disk drive, but computer seems to see nothing plugged to USBs, despite the fact that both devices clearly show they know they are connected to computer.  At present, I have no other USB devices to try plugging in.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 06:53:47 AM by BigMac »

merlin

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 02:33:41 PM »
try updating thre drivers>http://www.driverscollection.com/?C=48  and more info here>mac http://www.usb.org/faq/ans3
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 02:34:43 PM by merlin »

BigMac

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 12:30:34 PM »
Thanks for the good information, Merlin; especially USB.org.  I downloaded and will now run their USB utility for Win98.  You might want to be cautious at drivercollection; my software detected a trojan virus in the USB drive section while there; also, could not quite figure out how to view more than the most recent 3 download  selections in each category.