Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Office question  (Read 3320 times)

schwartzee42

Microsoft Office question
« on: October 14, 2007, 07:24:16 PM »
I downloaded a trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 so I could have a one-time use of Microsoft Access, because i only wanted to use Access i just clicked install Access on the setup, now all of my Microsoft Office 2003 is completely gone, is there any way to get it back?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Microsoft Office question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
You may be out of luck.
If you didn't pay enough attention during 2007 installation, most likely it installed into your 2003 directory, overwriting its files.
If you have Office 2003 CD, reinstall may be your only option.

ultimatum

Intermediate
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:39:09 PM »
    Usually what happens when you install a new version of an application, the new version will look for any previous versions and delete all files and contents, after that it starts a fresh new installation which means your office 2003 is now gone. Here is an example if you were to try and install an older version of DirectX without deleting the previous one then you would get a message saying you already have the latest or higher version of DirectX and it would ask you if you still want to continue or quit the setup. So, reinstalling would be your only option unless there is a recovery software of deleted files which I think there is.
    Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
      • Where we learn IT daily!
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »
    I know this advice is kind've late, but figured it might come in handy for future reference. When you install software it usually ask for the location to install c:/programs/software. I always change the location for trial software to this c:/test programs/software. These will allow for a bunch of different scenarios, one of which is multiple applications. The other would be to find and ensure the software was completely deleted. Just thoughts on what I do.
    Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:02:13 PM »
    When you install software it usually ask for the location to install c:/programs/software. I always change the location for trial software to this c:/test programs/software.
    This won't always work, especially with complex applications like Office. Those programs will write their files all over your computer, overwriting whatever they find in their way.

ultimatum

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:03:03 PM »
      When you install software it usually ask for the location to install c:/programs/software. I always change the location for trial software to this c:/test programs/software.
      This won't always work, especially with complex applications like Office. Those programs will write their files all over your computer, overwriting whatever they find in their way.

good point...

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:17:17 PM »

ultimatum

Intermediate
        « Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:13:42 PM »
        Nice web site  ;D ;D ;D

what does that have to do with anything here?  ::)

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 11:18:20 PM »
        Nothing...I just clicked on your site link, and I liked it...hehehe :P

ultimatum

Intermediate
          « Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 11:20:16 PM »
          thanks  :-\

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
          • Sup!?
            • Where we learn IT daily!
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 08:27:57 AM »
          Of course all advice on any site you have take with with ease and apply it to your won skill level. However Office will allow you to install multiple copies in seperate directories. I have been doing this since Office 97. The thing to know when you do this is of course some programs are more complex like Office. So it may install other files over itself, but the benefit would be for special settings and items of that nature would still be intact after an un-install.
          Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!