Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connected to network but can't connect to internet through it  (Read 4306 times)

wormophile

Connected to network but can't connect to internet through it
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:54:27 AM »
    I have no idea what's going on!
   Recently i moved into a halls of residence with my laptop. Previously i had connected to the internet through a dialup connection, but now I'm in the halls i have to connect to the internet through the network. As soon as I plug the ethernet cable in and then click internet explorer, it should direct me to the cablecom website where i should sign up for their service. I'm connected to the network and i can see all the other computers in the halls, but i cannot gain internet access through it. What I need to know is how to allow my computer to connect to the internet via the network and not via dialup. Please help me I've been trying for like a week to figure this out!
 Thank you very very much!

jimyan

Greenhorn

Re: Connected to network but can't connect to internet through it
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
    Do your network have router intalled in it? In other word, do other computers in the network can directly connect to the internet? If so, try copying their gateway and dns. If still not able to connect, try an IPadd (be ware not to conflict others IP) close to theirs. Again if not, try contacting your system administrator for some firewall setting if there is.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Connected to network but can't connect to internet through it
      « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:39:17 PM »
      Contact your schools IT department and explain your problem to them.  Could be you have to "jump thru some hoops" to get it set up right.  :P

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!