Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: comp shuts off during install (XP disc)  (Read 8542 times)

Adwill9

Re: comp shuts off during install (XP disc)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 07:19:06 AM »
Shynnie I built the computer a couple months ago.  It worked fine (on the 30-day trial from the Dell XP CD-- my sister's), but as soon as I tried installing a copy of XP (for which I had a serial), the issue started.  I don't doubt that it's a hardware issue, it just seems odd to me that the problem would start without ANY changes in hardware. 

I'll try out MemTest and a new IDE cable when I get home late tonight.  I have 2 identical sound cards in the computer, I'll be sure to take both of those out as well-- those are the only PCI cards, though (i think...).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 08:24:07 AM »
Having two sound cards installed may be the problem...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

justtinee

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 01:59:36 PM »
Hi obviously I'm new but I was searching everywhere for an answer to this problem as I seem to be having a similar one I am installing a new to me (but used) hard drive in my laptop.  Mine will start it gets past entering the product code and once it says the installation will complete in approximately 19 min it shuts off almost as if it went into standby mode but of course when i turned it back on it had to restart setup. Once I restarted it happened again at the same place.(about 4 times) Is it possible that mine is just a hard drive problem? Any suggestions?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »
Hi obviously I'm new but I was searching everywhere for an answer to this problem as I seem to be having a similar one I am installing a new to me (but used) hard drive in my laptop.  Mine will start it gets past entering the product code and once it says the installation will complete in approximately 19 min it shuts off almost as if it went into standby mode but of course when i turned it back on it had to restart setup. Once I restarted it happened again at the same place.(about 4 times) Is it possible that mine is just a hard drive problem? Any suggestions?
Yes.
Start a new topic with as many details you can provide on your system, OS and where this drive came from and someone will be along shortly.
This way it can recieve the proper attention...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Adwill9

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:07 AM »
I swapped out the IDE cable and took out the two sound cards-- problem remains.  Was about to consider buying a new mobo when I thought to myself, "why not try yet another cd drive?" And sure enough, I try it with a THIRD cd drive, and it works.  Who knows, maybe both of the other two drives are screwy, maybe not, I think I'm going to just chuck them both out regardless. 

Thanks again for all the help.
-Andrew

maddog_187

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 11:42:53 AM »
I had the same problem, until I used a bootleg version and everything was perfect.  Try another disc. The disk I was having problems with i've used on 5 other computers with no problem. try that and let us know