Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: too many computers in the house-keep slowing down or cutting out  (Read 4587 times)

Maggie

hello
just wondered if anyone is able to help on this one.

we have three desktop computers in our house with good features. The slightly older computer is the main one and the other two new ones are linked by wireless and run really fast. We usually have no problems with connection.  Anyway, we sometimes sponsor overseas students who stay at our house (usually always from China, some from Japan and Korea) and they always bring their laptops with them. The problem is that when they turn on their computers our computers slow right down to a snailspace or usually just cut out so that we can't even get a page up, yet the students computers work fine.  This is kind of irritating to us as we are the ones paying for internet and have alot of work to do for uni, etc. 

Why is it that we cut out or slow down but not them. I assume theirs are working okay because they never say anything and the few times I have asked some of them about their connection, speed etc, they say its fine.

Does anyone have any clues to this?

Thank you.

Sharamall

Re: too many computers in the house-keep slowing down or cutting out
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 07:38:34 PM »
Internet connection or the computer in general? If it is Internet it may just be because it is a wireless network. (Don't always trust me though I'm a noob)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
I'd place a newer computer as a main machine, and see, if it helps.

Sharamall

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:57:07 PM »
Yeah, how old is the "older computer?" Like what OS, processor and amount of RAM?

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:04 PM »
Hey guys

firstly, it is the internet connection which cuts out and says page cant be displayed or something like that, or else our computers just slow right down. we usually have two students at a time which makes it really bad but even when we just have one student who has his laptop on, it still affects our three computers.

Secondly, i am intending to replace the main computer with a new one i just don't have the money at the moment, and the other two guys in the house with the new computers won't change.  so anyway, the main computer is about maybe 6 years old, its a HP, Windows XP, Intel Pentium 4, about 125 or maybe 256MB no more.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »
i just don't have the money at the moment
I understand. I thought, all three were yours.
Try this. While you have at least one guest, disconnect one, then both of those two wirelessly networked computers, and see if it helps.
I don't know, if my statement is clear....hehehe.

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »
Hi Broni

I appreciate you trying to help me. 

Do you definitely think that placing a new computer as the main one would help?  I mean I am going to replace it at some stage just not yet. oh and the MB on the main one is 256MB.

Also, do you think that these wireless laptops have an advantage over desktops or something? Do you think the laptop is taking an unfair portion of the speed. Its just so strange that we are the ones to suffer.  We have 21000MB per month at a speed of supposedly 24000 something or other from our internet provider but I think its more likely our speed is about 12000 . someone said you have to divide your speed by how many computers are using it, is that correct?

Do you know if wired is better than wireless?

Sorry for so many questions.

Maggie

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »
Sorry Broni

I forgot to add, I just didn't quite understand what you meant in your last post. If you have a minute do you think that you could maybe explain it again.

Thank you heaps.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »
Sorry for being unclear...

Do you definitely think that placing a new computer as the main one would help?
I don't know about "definitely", but it's worth to try.

What kind of connection is it? DSL?

Now about running some checks.
Lets assume this situation. You have:
a - Main Computer
b - 1st Guy Computer
c - 2nd Guy Computer
d - Guest Laptop
When all connected, b, and c are slow, (I suppose a too, right). d is fast.

Disconnect c, and see if it helps computers a, and b

Further, disconnect c, and b, and see, if it helps a

Maggie

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 09:06:50 PM »
Don't be sorry Broni, I am glad of your help.

Our connection is ADSL, is that the same as DSL?

I will try those checks today however, I have to wait until the other two guys come home later this afternoon.  At the end of the day though, my computer which is the main one will always be slower because it is much older and only Intel Pentium 4 with only 256MB, whereas the other two guys computers are only 12 months old and are HP Pavilion Media Centre PC's with Intel Pentium D processor and 2048MB RAM memory.

Thanks again Broni

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 09:22:10 PM »
Our connection is ADSL, is that the same as DSL?
DSL comes in two flavors:
- ADSL (Asymetric DSL - download speed is bigger, then upload speed - this is what most home users use, and they simply call it DSL),
- and SDSL (Symetric DSL) - download, and upload speeds are the same - rare, costs more).

Good luck with your tries. 8) 8) 8)

Maggie

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 09:53:26 PM »
Thanks Broni

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »
    someone said you have to divide your speed by how many computers are using it, is that correct?

Do you know if wired is better than wireless?

Sorry for so many questions.

Yes, the connection speed is divided between the computers which use that connection in that moment. For computers connected to a wireless network this means their local bandwidth network connection is split between all the wireless connected computers in your network.
    Wired is better than wireless, you have better network performances.  Wired computers don't divide their local bandwidth. But it depends largely on which router or switch do you use - this equipment has limited resources and can transfer a limited quantity of data in the time unit. For 3 to 5-6 computers it should be not a problem. It may become a problem if there are too many concurrent connections (caused by programs such as p2p programs - eMule, DC++, torrent clients etc) which could block the router. Note: p2p programs are not a problem, the maximum number of connections allowed from their settings is. If connection speed is decreased drastically when such a program is used, you have to adjust settings so those programs should use less network bandwidth (their maximum connections number should be smaller; how smaller? It's a "try and see" case.)

You said something about a main computer. What do you mean by "main computer"? Do you have another equipment at your location named "router"?

Your computer is not the problem as you describe it - and for internet access it might be just enough what you have now. You said that when another 1-2 computers are added to the network than connection becomes sluggish. The same happens to other 2 newer computers, of your permanent neighbors?

Final note regarding network bandwidth: the bandwidth network of the wan (internet) connection is divided between all the computers (wired or wireless) that use the Internet in that particular moment.
    local bandwidth = bandwidth available to your computers when you transfer files between them, from one to another
    wan bandwidth = bandwidth available to each of your computers when you transfer files/data between them and some servers on internet.
    The used bandwidth of a certain connection is split between all the computers that use that particular connection at that particular moment of time.